Hermann's Tortoise indoor enclosure safe plant and decor ideas

melyssaandmorla

Hello,
I have a 4 year old tortoise named Morla and I'd like to make his enclosure a little more interesting. I was wondering if anyone had simple decor ideas and a list and safe plants I could add. He has stomped all over an aloe plant I had once and flips himself if he has tunnels, so I was hoping someone who has an adventurous tortoise like mine has figured something out.
Thanks!

ayrgrn

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi,
I've just bought a silk vine off swell reptiles and put it on the soil to look like a big bush sort of thing and it looks really good, my tort Loki loves to walk through and over it :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Spider plants are good too ,and tort safe if they nibble them.
You can sink the pot into the substrate so that if it gets trampled or eaten down you can just swap it for another pot.
Be careful with shop bought plants though. They have probably had fertilisers sprayed on them or in the soil.
So you need to repot in chemical free soil and give time for the absorbed chemicals to grow out - usually up to a year is recommended.
So if you know anyone with chemical free plants you can get cuttings from that would quicker.
Have a look at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk where you can find lots of tort safe plants.