Hermanns Tortoise Hibernation

HoneyBea23

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi everyone!

I am sure there are countless posts regarding the topic of hibernation, but I wanted to make one of my own that I can successfully track. I am due to purchase a Hermanns baby (approximately 4 months old) around December 16th this year, and I am worried about the "consequences" of not hibernating my tortoise after its 2-3 years of age. I am extremely reluctant and hesitant to hibernate it and have seen so many mixed opinions on the subject. Bottom line: will it do harm to my tortoise if I decide to never hibernate it? Will it have serious health consequences? Keep in mind that it will be an indoor tortoise that will only be taken outside during the summer months for backyard grazing. Any further information would be so greatly appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are two schools of thought on this subject, with pros and cons about both. I'm of the school that thinks it does no harm to keep them awake all winter.

HoneyBea23

Ontario
There are two schools of thought on this subject, with pros and cons about both. I'm of the school that thinks it does no harm to keep them awake all winter.
That’s very reassuring to hear! Thank you so much for your reply :)