Hermanns sexing

amclexi

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Worth, TX
Hello! My family just adopted these two Hermanns and I’m determined to sex them before naming them. Any ideas on their sexes? Thanks!

Attachments

• AC951CE0-61D8-49AC-A4F4-2CBF61F2AECA.jpeg
    AC951CE0-61D8-49AC-A4F4-2CBF61F2AECA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am not sure, however are you keeping them together?

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
2 tortoises should never be together. They should not be kept in pairs. You need to separate them immediately or rehome one. They will fight and one may end up dead. Following is chasing, sleeping together is taking charge of the best sleeping spot, and eating together is one keeping the other from the best food. Please separate them before one gets hurt!

Reactions: Ink

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
They look to be female. The tail of a male almost reaches his back leg. They may do fine together but watch for bullying or any kind of stress from either of them.

pcrealty

Wynnewood
They look to be female. The tail of a male almost reaches his back leg. They may do fine together but watch for bullying or any kind of stress from either of them.
Can you assist me, please look at my pictures and help me with their sex, thanks.

Attachments

• male vs female tortoises.jpg
    male vs female tortoises.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 8545.jpeg
    8545.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 6356.jpeg
    6356.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 6358.jpeg
    6358.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 32

zovick

10 Year Member!
Can you assist me, please look at my pictures and help me with their sex, thanks.
The tortoise at the far left is a definite male. I cannot see quite enough of the tail area f the second tortoise to make a good sex determination because it is cut off at the bottom of the frame. Take another photo of that tortoise and try to center the tail area in the frame like you did in the first photo so it can be seen more clearly.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello! My family just adopted these two Hermanns and I’m determined to sex them before naming them. Any ideas on their sexes? Thanks!
Both of these look like females to me.

pcrealty

Wynnewood
The tortoise at the far left is a definite male. I cannot see quite enough of the tail area f the second tortoise to make a good sex determination because it is cut off at the bottom of the frame. Take another photo of that tortoise and try to center the tail area in the frame like you did in the first photo so it can be seen more clearly.
Here are the new photographs, please explain, thanks.

20201122_185540.jpg20201122_185517.jpg20201122_185513.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Here are the new photographs, please explain, thanks.
Are all three of these photos of the same tortoise? If so, this one appears to have the tip of its penis protruding from the cloaca, so most probably this one is a male as well if the pix are all of the same tortoise and it is the same tortoise which was pictured at the far right of your first group of pictures.

pcrealty

Wynnewood
Are all three of these photos of the same tortoise? If so, this one appears to have the tip of its penis protruding from the cloaca, so most probably this one is a male as well if the pix are all of the same tortoise and it is the same tortoise which was pictured at the far right of your first group of pictures.
Every picture is the same tortoise. How sure are you? And your expertise level?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Every picture is the same tortoise. How sure are you? And your expertise level?
So if I understand your meaning correctly, you are apparently saying that ALL SIX pictures are of the same tortoise? IE, the three pix in post #6 and the three pix in post #9 are all pictures of the same tortoise?

I am 99.9% sure of the sex based on your photos.

As for my level of experience, here you are: I kept turtles and tortoises continuously for 65+ years from 1953 to 2019 and am the first person to have bred about 6 different tortoise species in captivity, including the Radiated Tortoise, 3 of the 4 types of Pyxis Tortoises, the African Spurred Tortoise, and the Burmese Star Tortoise. I have bred three CB generations of both Radiated Tortoises and Sri Lankan Star Tortoises. Additionally I was a Field Associate in Herpetology for the Wildlife Conservation Society (formerly the Bronx Zoo) from 1976 through 2008.

Last edited:

pcrealty

Wynnewood
So if I understand your meaning correctly, you are apparently saying that ALL SIX pictures are of the same tortoise? IE, the three pix in post #6 and the three pix in post #9 are all pictures of the same tortoise?

As for my level of experience, here you are: I kept turtles and tortoises continuously for 65+ years from 1953 to 2019 and am the first person to have bred about 6 different tortoise species in captivity, including the Radiated Tortoise, 3 of the 4 types of Pyxis Tortoises, the African Spurred Tortoise, and the Burmese Star Tortoise. I have bred three CB generations of both Radiated Tortoises and Sri Lankan Star Tortoises. Additionally I was a Field Associate in Herpetology for the Wildlife Conservation Society (formerly the Bronx Zoo) from 1976 through 2008.

Can you send me a written report stating it is for certain a male Eastern Hermann. I am willing to send you a small fee via PayPal. Thanks for your expertise. Please include your experience as stated. My email address is [email protected].

Very impressive, we appreciate your lifelong dedication to Herpetology and Wildlife Conservation Society. Thamk you for sharing your knowledge.
PL C

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Greetings Dr. Bravestone, Jumanji is in great peril...

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Can you send me a written report stating it is for certain a male Eastern Hermann. I am willing to send you a small fee via PayPal. Thanks for your expertise. Please include your experience as stated. My email address is [email protected].
Very impressive, we appreciate your lifelong dedication to Herpetology and Wildlife Conservation Society. Thamk you for sharing your knowledge.
PL C

Why do you need a written report?

pcrealty

Wynnewood
Why do you need a written report?
An unscrupulous tortoise seller insisted I have a female tortoise and sold me another male when I requested a female. I was looking forward to breeding them. Still to this date, this tortoise seller stated my tortoise was still a female displaying a clitoris. I verified with many reptile experts and all are reporting my pictures are in-fact a male. I am making a case of reverse charges with my credit card company. Thanks for inquiring. I am willing to pay for your professional opinion.

Attachments

• 20201021_155551.jpg
    20201021_155551.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I see, unfortunately it seems in the tort industy, many many males are sold as females. Good luck getting your money back.