Hermann's or Greek?

AMA904

Hi everyone. I'm new on the site, but not completely new to tortoises. I'm from Jacksonville, FL and have always had a fascination with tortoises. I had a couple of Hermann's tortoises many years ago, but had to rehouse them during one of our family moves. I have a young daughter now and am considering adding a new addition to the family. I don't necessarily want to rush into anything though because I want to make sure I know what I'm getting in to.

I've done some research and it seems like the Hermann's or the Greeks would be the best option (I'm open to other suggestions though). I'm looking for something that will stay small and live a majority of the time inside. I do have some questions though that I'm hoping to get some help with.

What is the minimum size tortoise table for an adult Greek or Hermann's? Let's assume one or possibly two tortoises.
What is recommended for the substrate? How often does it need to be cleaned or changed?
If I was to get two, is it better to get two males, two females, or one of each?
Do they have different diets?
What sort of regular medical care do they need?

I'm sure I will have more questions as we go, but this is a start.

M

Maggie Cummings

I can answer a couple of things for you...I have a couple of tort tables in the house, and the one I like best is 2'.5"X5'The substrate is up to you, you can use coir and play sand, or what I use is fine grade orchid bark. I clean any obvious stools or old food out daily and add some orchid bark from time to time. You shouldn't mix species because each carries it's own pathogens that 'could' make the other species sick or dead. Tortoise are solitary animals who don't require companionship. I have some chelonia that are 9 or 10 years old and have never been to a Vet. The correct UVB light, the right food, humidity and exercise can go a long way for making healthy animals. In Florida tho they should be able to live outside most of the time, and that would really be good for them...that's all I got...HTH
Here's a link to a Hermanni care sheet that will answer questions as well.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet.63799/

Last edited by a moderator:

AMA904

I can answer a couple of things for you...I have a couple of tort tables in the house, and the one I like best is 2'.5"X5'The substrate is up to you, you can use coir and play sand, or what I use is fine grade orchid bark. I clean any obvious stools or old food out daily and add some orchid bark from time to time. You shouldn't mix species because each carries it's own pathogens that 'could' make the other species sick or dead. Tortoise are solitary animals who don't require companionship. I have some chelonia that are 9 or 10 years old and have never been to a Vet. The correct UVB light, the right food, humidity and exercise can go a long way for making healthy animals. In Florida tho they should be able to live outside most of the time, and that would really be good for them...that's all I got...HTH
Here's a link to a Hermanni care sheet that will answer questions as well.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet.63799/

Thank you, that is helpful. I had a bunch of animals growing up and always multiples of them so I usually just assume they would enjoy a companion. That could also just have been from my parents having three kids and just trying to make everyone happy. How often do you completely change out the orchid bark? I've also read that cypress is pretty popular.

M

Maggie Cummings

Thank you, that is helpful. I had a bunch of animals growing up and always multiples of them so I usually just assume they would enjoy a companion. That could also just have been from my parents having three kids and just trying to make everyone happy. How often do you completely change out the orchid bark? I've also read that cypress is pretty popular.
Cypress mulch is good too. It takes years before I change out all the substrate. You should have plants growing in there too and you really don't want to disturb the roots...

AMA904

Cypress mulch is good too. It takes years before I change out all the substrate. You should have plants growing in there too and you really don't want to disturb the roots...

Do you have to buy a certain type of cypress mulch? Or could you go to your local Home Depot/Lowes and buy it there?

M

Maggie Cummings

Do you have to buy a certain type of cypress mulch? Or could you go to your local Home Depot/Lowes and buy it there?
Yes, you can go to the big box stores and get it. You just need to make sure it's small pieces not big pieces of wood...

AMA904

That's good to know. I can remember mixing top soil & play sand way back when. We changed it numerous times a year and was always a big mess.

AMA904

How often do you feed them & how much? Is there a list on this site with what is safe to feed Hermann's?