Hermanns hates mazuri

domagoj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Croatia
I tried to feed Marley some mazuri mixed with his favorite greens. At first he seemed to like it but then I noticed he spits it out. I just received mazuri yesterday so maybe he'll like it in the future. Oh and it's Mazuri LS because I wasn't able to find any of the original stuff. I know that LS is different than original but figured if he never tries original he might like it. I soaked it for 30 minutes and mixed it with finely chopped radicchio and dandelions.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @domagoj and a very warm welcome to the forum. :D

I believe that a tort would have to get used to mazuri, which is not what he/she would eat in the wild. :rolleyes: Therefore a lot of patience is required here. Oli gave me a very tough time till he decided to eat mazuri. :(

What species is your tort? Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and ask questions when you need help.

Give your tort a daily soak in warm water. :)

Any pics of your tort and his/her enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many torts don't like the "LS" type. Few tortoises don't like the "Original" type.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree. I once purchased some L.S. and my torts hated it. I got rid of it by mixing it up with the regular kind over a period of months.
What is your general location?
Is there a livestock tack and feed store around?
They often carry it or can order you some.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

I believe that a tort would have to get used to mazuri, which is not what he/she would eat in the wild. :rolleyes: Therefore a lot of patience is required here. Oli gave me a very tough time till he decided to eat mazuri. :(

What species is your tort? Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and ask questions when you need help.

Yours was "regular" Mazuri. The red label type.
He is attempting to feed the less palatable type L.S.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
I agree. I once purchased some L.S. and my torts hated it. I got rid of it by mixing it up with the regular kind over a period of months.
What is your general location?
Is there a livestock tack and feed store around?
They often carry it or can order you some.
I'm located in Croatia. Not a lot of options regarding tortoises around here. No feed stores I'm aware of. I'm going to check with my local vet since I think they carry Purina but can't be sure about that.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia

It's a hermanns tortoise. I'm not that new to the forum, been around for three months. Already read everything there is to read.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476809941.474998.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476809961.667671.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1476809975.643122.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm located in Croatia. Not a lot of options regarding tortoises around here. No feed stores I'm aware of. I'm going to check with my local vet since I think they carry Purina but can't be sure about that.

I have the same problem. There's little or no care for pets here, especially torts due to the fact that they wander around in the wild and nobody is interested in the poor creatures. Therefore there s NO food for them, NO vets for them, NO, NO, NO..... This keeps me somewhat worried.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
I have the same problem. There's little or no care for pets here, especially torts due to the fact that they wander around in the wild and nobody is interested in the poor creatures. Therefore there s NO food for them, NO vets for them, NO, NO, NO..... This keeps me somewhat worried.
There's also not a lot of interest in keeping tortoises here either. And hermanns are also a native species. Because of that you must have a permit to keep them. A lot of people just take them from the wild and it makes me soooooo angry. I mean you can get a year old hermanns tortoise for somewhere around $30, with the permit included, from a reputable breeder. Maybe the biggest problem is that endangered animals can't be shipped so you have to go pick it up personally.

M

Maggie Cummings

I get it right from Purina. So maybe your Vet can order some, or you contact Purina yourself. You want the original Mazuri for tortoises. You might only be able to buy 40 pound bags from them, it's around, or was, $30.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
There's also not a lot of interest in keeping tortoises here either. And hermanns are also a native species. Because of that you must have a permit to keep them. A lot of people just take them from the wild and it makes me soooooo angry. I mean you can get a year old hermanns tortoise for somewhere around $30, with the permit included, from a reputable breeder. Maybe the biggest problem is that endangered animals can't be shipped so you have to go pick it up personally.
Here there is no interest whatsoever in torts. They roam around in the wild, and IF a child finds one, he/she would just pick it up (after the OK from his/her parents) and put it in a CARTON BOX! Moreover, torts are considered TOYS for children, and there is nothing to protect the poor animals legally speaking. Too bad.

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
I get it right from Purina. So maybe your Vet can order some, or you contact Purina yourself. You want the original Mazuri for tortoises. You might only be able to buy 40 pound bags from them, it's around, or was, $30.
I'll give it a try

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
Here there is no interest whatsoever in torts. They roam around in the wild, and IF a child finds one, he/she would just pick it up (after the OK from his/her parents) and put it in a CARTON BOX! Moreover, torts are considered TOYS for children, and there is nothing to protect the poor animals legally speaking. Too bad.
It's pretty much the same since nobody enforces the laws that protect them. People give them to their children for birthdays and then just put them in the garden. Really sad

domagoj

5 Year Member
Croatia
Just to give everyone an update. Mixing it with anything didn't help. Today I've just put in a dry pellet and he ate some. Is it a problem if he eats it dry. I personally think it can only be beneficial for beak maintenance.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just to give everyone an update. Mixing it with anything didn't help. Today I've just put in a dry pellet and he ate some. Is it a problem if he eats it dry. I personally think it can only be beneficial for beak maintenance.
No. As long as water is available. Dry is O.K.
I don't know how much beak maintenance will be done by it.
Do you feed him on a flat rock or slate or a terra cotta saucer? Any of these will help with the beak since when he eats, he rubs it on the rough surface.