Hermann's and Cedar....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hey there! I am of the understanding that cedar is toxic to all herps. I am however not entirely clear about what exactly it does. Is it just the aroma that can cause respiratory difficulties or is there a problem if it is injested? Is it all cedars and all parts of them in all stages? The reason that I am asking is because my tort garden for the wee ones is located near some cedar trees (unfortunately there are not a lot of choices for location...in the midst of shopping for some land) and some of the cedar dies and falls into the garden. Being that there are three of them, it is difficult to keep an eye on all of them all of the time. I am wondering how concerned I need to be about the possibility of them eating dead cedar. I am also aware that the Mediterranean Cedar is one of the most poisonous cedars that there is, the sabinol(toxic principle) irritates the mucous membranes and acts on the nervous system often causing death to humans. Do the tortoises constantly get sick/die from a tree that is native to their land? Or is it generally avoided due to the strong aroma?

Also, two of my guys like to nibble on the occasional garden slug or potato bug...eeeew, if consumed on occasion I am assuming that they are ok? I am aware that insects have more protein than is required, but I am guessing that the occasional insect must be munched in the wild and therefore should have very few ill effects??

Any feedback would be welcomed :D
Cheers, Carley

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Carley,
It's more constant exposure to the cedar thats the problem, ie being on cedar mulch or cedar chips all the time. If you see a piece in the enclosure, just be sure to clean up when you do see pieces. I'm sure they avoid cedar in the wild.
Eating slugs, snails and bugs every once in a while is just fine. :D

Danny

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No worries about outside cedar trees and their falling branches / leaves I have heard the same stories regarding oaks. This is really more of an issue when the animals are contained in an area with cedar shavings, that do give off quite a strong smell. "Volitile Oils" this is why are quite strong. So do not use them as substrate. I am sure that i have left a lot out of this message, so feel free to contact me if you wish. Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna 305-246-3129

Status
Not open for further replies.