Richard Harrison-Cripps

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kotor, Montenegro
Hi. I'd be very grateful for some advice from folks here with veterinary knowledge.

I'm a ecologist, working on Testudo hermanni populations in Montenegro for around 14 years, and have more and more found myself getting involved in rehabilitations. Our latest case is a mature female brought to us with major carapace trauma from, presumably, a steel-bladed brush cutter. We put her on a course of s.c. Ceftazidime injections for a period of 6-8 weeks, and administered silver sulfadiazine dressings daily, and she appears to be progressing nicely. The next stage, once infection risk is completely free, is to use vacuum-assisted closure dressings to allow the coelom to rise and re-adhere before using fibreglass to seal the carapace.

The tortoise's vertebral column and pelvis appear, miraculously, to be intact. Currently she is able to use her back legs, which she trails along behind her as she moves. I am hoping, in a kind of amateurish optimism, that this might be due to nerve damage, hopefully temporary, but I suppose time will tell.

A recent xray showed 6 eggs, one of which was "ready to launch" in the cloaca. The vet attempted to manipulate this egg out; it broke but was extracted entirely and without mishap. Currently, the tortoise is showing all signs of needing to lay the rest of the clutch (restlessness, lack of appetite, etc.) but I can't think she will be able to do this unless able to dig a nest, which she clearly can't do without the use of her back legs.

The major problem we have here in Montenegro is that there are no exotic vets. We rely on a very enthusiastic, young local "domestic" vet who has a particular interest in birds, and is very bright and willing to learn on the go as far as tortoises are concerned. On top of that, drug availability is limited outside of basic drugs applied to cats and dogs.

So my question regards the use of oxytocin in a situation like this. We are almost certain there is no physical obstruction to egg laying (the trauma only occurred at the top of the carapace), and that she is being held back by her physical inability to create a nest. and possibly by nerve damage / pain.

Would oxytocin be a sensible method to get her to lay, and if so what would the dosage be for a 2120 gram hermanni?

Any comments would be hugely appreciated, including on the treatment of the original trauma.

Many thanks

Richard
P.S. Apologies to anyone squeamish for the slightly graphic photos!

2020-05-29_a.jpgPhoto 08-06-2020, 19 25 43 (1).jpgPhoto 29-06-2020, 20 06 28.jpgPhoto 13-06-2020, 09 34 19.jpgPhoto 20-07-2020, 10 53 49.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oxytocin doesn't work on all species, but it's certainly worth a try!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi. I'd be very grateful for some advice from folks here with veterinary knowledge.

I'm a ecologist, working on Testudo hermanni populations in Montenegro for around 14 years, and have more and more found myself getting involved in rehabilitations. Our latest case is a mature female brought to us with major carapace trauma from, presumably, a steel-bladed brush cutter. We put her on a course of s.c. Ceftazidime injections for a period of 6-8 weeks, and administered silver sulfadiazine dressings daily, and she appears to be progressing nicely. The next stage, once infection risk is completely free, is to use vacuum-assisted closure dressings to allow the coelom to rise and re-adhere before using fibreglass to seal the carapace.

The tortoise's vertebral column and pelvis appear, miraculously, to be intact. Currently she is able to use her back legs, which she trails along behind her as she moves. I am hoping, in a kind of amateurish optimism, that this might be due to nerve damage, hopefully temporary, but I suppose time will tell.

A recent xray showed 6 eggs, one of which was "ready to launch" in the cloaca. The vet attempted to manipulate this egg out; it broke but was extracted entirely and without mishap. Currently, the tortoise is showing all signs of needing to lay the rest of the clutch (restlessness, lack of appetite, etc.) but I can't think she will be able to do this unless able to dig a nest, which she clearly can't do without the use of her back legs.

The major problem we have here in Montenegro is that there are no exotic vets. We rely on a very enthusiastic, young local "domestic" vet who has a particular interest in birds, and is very bright and willing to learn on the go as far as tortoises are concerned. On top of that, drug availability is limited outside of basic drugs applied to cats and dogs.

So my question regards the use of oxytocin in a situation like this. We are almost certain there is no physical obstruction to egg laying (the trauma only occurred at the top of the carapace), and that she is being held back by her physical inability to create a nest. and possibly by nerve damage / pain.

Would oxytocin be a sensible method to get her to lay, and if so what would the dosage be for a 2120 gram hermanni?

Any comments would be hugely appreciated, including on the treatment of the original trauma.

Many thanks

Richard
P.S. Apologies to anyone squeamish for the slightly graphic photos!

View attachment 300574View attachment 300575View attachment 300576View attachment 300578View attachment 300579
I would give the tortoise 3 cc. of oxytocin (concentration of 20 IU per cc.) and then observe her to see if she is able to pass the eggs. This will normally work within 60-90 minutes, although with some species it can take longer. If she is unable to lay the eggs herself, perhaps the vet can go in through the nice wide opening in the carapace and surgically remove them.

Richard Harrison-Cripps

5 Year Member
Kotor, Montenegro
Thanks for the replies and kind words.

@zovick Thank you. In your opinion do you think the uterine contractions caused by administering the oxytocin are a risk considering whatever nerve / spinal damage is causing the rear limb paralysis? Everything else appears clear from the X-ray but I’m a little concerned about that.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the replies and kind words.

@zovick Thank you. In your opinion do you think the uterine contractions caused by administering the oxytocin are a risk considering whatever nerve / spinal damage is causing the rear limb paralysis? Everything else appears clear from the X-ray but I’m a little concerned about that.
I do not believe there is any risk from the uterine contractions. And even if there were a risk, the risk of leaving the eggs in the tortoise is probably equal to that risk or worse. If it were my tortoise, I would give her the oxytocin (assuming the shell of the egg which the vet broke was fully calcified). IE, if that broken egg was ready to be laid, there is no sense leaving the others in her if they can be expelled.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Very interesting thread, Richard please keep us posted on the outcome and GOOD LUCK!