Hermann or Horsefield as 1st tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russians make very good first tortoises because they are very forgiving of poor care. Not to say you plan on giving the tortoise poor care, it's just that while you're learning, they just keep on going.

Reactions: Ink

KronksMom

Illinois
I love my Russian tortoise. He's super friendly and adventurous. But just because they're small does not mean their needs are. The recommended enclosure size is 4 feet by 8 feet. Mine is only 5 feet by 3 feet and we are starting to think about how to expand it, because he could definitely use the additional space. My husband and I did a lot of research before deciding to get a russian tortoise, as opposed to a different pet, and I am so happy with our decision. His personality is huge!

Steviemonty

Norwich uk
I love my Russian tortoise. He's super friendly and adventurous. But just because they're small does not mean their needs are. The recommended enclosure size is 4 feet by 8 feet. Mine is only 5 feet by 3 feet and we are starting to think about how to expand it, because he could definitely use the additional space. My husband and I did a lot of research before deciding to get a russian tortoise, as opposed to a different pet, and I am so happy with our decision. His personality is huge!
Yes I would agree about personality iam a new owner of a young Russian and I watch him for hours fascinated by him and he is very friendly only had him just over a month now..he gets more attention than the wife...lol☺☺