Hermann ingested something???

lautanner

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello.
I had my Hermann outside. As far as I could see, there was nothing but grass, weeds, dirt, and maybe sand underneath him. He was doing fine but then, all of a sudden, started wheezing and coughing and mucus was coming out of his mouth and nose. Thick white/brown, then finally clear mucus. He was struggling to breathe and I freaked out. I took him to an emergency vet and they didn't find anything in his windpipe or in his lungs on the x-ray. He calmed down and started breathing normally but the vet suggested an antibiotic as a preemptive measure against infection (since I have no idea what he sniffed/ingested). I have read that antibiotics are bad for torts. She already gave him the first shot so I'm going to watch him for a while and hope that he doesn't need the other shots. Any advice? Does this happen to Hermanns a lot?

lautanner

Michigan
His warm side is 87 degrees and his cool side is 72 degrees. Humidity is at 56 percent. Substrate is fir bark.

Bee62

Germany
Do you have any toxic insects ( fire ants or so ) in your yard ? Any strange plants ? I have never heard of such a weird behavior of Hermann tortoise ( and others ) before. There must have been something that causes this. I would watch your tort closely and when she shows no respiration problems refuse more antibiotic shots.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I would bet on a bug of some sort. Any number of them taste bad but aren't really 'toxic.' Similar defense strategy as toads use, and if you've ever seen a dog pick up a toad...

lautanner

Michigan
Yes there were fire ants near where he was at that time! Wow, we never even thought about the possibility of a bug. Since we got back from the vet, there is no mucus and he's breathing normally, no wheezing. Should I not bother giving him the other shots? I don't want to give him an antibiotic unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Bee62

Germany
Yes there were fire ants near where he was at that time! Wow, we never even thought about the possibility of a bug. Since we got back from the vet, there is no mucus and he's breathing normally, no wheezing. Should I not bother giving him the other shots? I don't want to give him an antibiotic unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.
Torts often stop eating when they get antibiotic shots. For this reason I agree with you. No ab shots unless it is necessary.