Hermann Hatchling won't poop

hyj1752

Location (City and/or State)
Seoul
Hello. 6 days ago I adopted an eastern hermann hatchling, who's no bigger than 4.5cm. He eats a lot (everyday, kind of too much. he eats dandelion, chicory, sprouts, and other available weeds that I get from a tortoise farm organization). I give him supplements calcium and d3 and I have soaked him three times so far. He:

- He currently lives in an enclosure that is well ventilated and regulated using thermometers and humidity level meters.
- I am planning to make him an outdoor enclosure next year when I can afford a bigger apartment.

He hasn't pooped. I am not sure how to deal with this, because he doesn't feel lethargic, sleeps as much as a hatchling should do. I am wondering if I just can't find his poop within the substrate... I am stressed. He doesn't seem to pee either, although there's a greater chance I'm just missing this - no urates, nothing. His behavior is otherwise incredibly normal. Sleeps around 17-20 hours a day. Likes to burrow and dig. Eats a lot. Walks when he's awake. I think I'm going a little crazy worrying about the fella.

He moved around a hell of a lot today. I called my vet and he said that there's an adjustment period and that some hatchlings don't poop for a week. I am worried that if I leave this be, he'll get digesting problems / blockages.

Please let me know what I can do better/differently!

ComeNT8kIt

Houston/Tx
Mine did the same thing. Went almost a week I believe without pooping. I’ll admit it may have been a day or two sooner but like you said it can be tough to find. But if you’re real nervous soak him every day instead of every other. That seemed to help mine and I don’t think you can soak them too much.

hyj1752

Seoul
Mine did the same thing. Went almost a week I believe without pooping. I’ll admit it may have been a day or two sooner but like you said it can be tough to find. But if you’re real nervous soak him every day instead of every other. That seemed to help mine and I don’t think you can soak them too much.

Thanks that really helps. I am doing as much research as I can, but as it's just one hatchling I'm constantly on edge! Thanks for replying.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
How long are you soaking him? Mine (almost) always go when I soak them.

Agathaade

Los Angeles
My Hermann hatchling poops during his daily soak in the morning.
If I soak him a little late sometimes he doesn’t poop in his soak tub. I assume he pooped at his ‘usual’ time, and I may or may not find it in his enclosure. It’s common not to find poops! :)
Sometimes I find dried up poop that was buried in the substrate! If your digs under the substrate he may be pooping under there.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I don't know what's available in Seoul, but if you can get spineless opuntia cactus, feed him some. If you can't get the cactus (which I kind of doubt you can), go for some aloe or some cucumber.

These foods have a slight laxative effect, and if he is a bit stopped up should help get things moving. Try soaking at the same time every day. And sprinkle a bit of water on his greens.

Another possibility is that he is peeing/pooping in his hide. Tortoises will pee/poop in their burrow to help regulate the humidity in there. Look there in case you haven't already.

Here's our updated care sheet for Hermann's. Lots of good info for you and your baby.

hyj1752

Seoul

Hey guys! He pooped the day before and yesterday. Not today, but I didn't let him out for a sunny walk because it's too hot.

I don't know what's available in Seoul, but if you can get spineless opuntia cactus, feed him some. If you can't get the cactus (which I kind of doubt you can), go for some aloe or some cucumber.

These foods have a slight laxative effect, and if he is a bit stopped up should help get things moving. Try soaking at the same time every day. And sprinkle a bit of water on his greens.

Another possibility is that he is peeing/pooping in his hide. Tortoises will pee/poop in their burrow to help regulate the humidity in there. Look there in case you haven't already.

Here's our updated care sheet for Hermann's. Lots of good info for you and your baby.

Thanks for letting me know! They do have lots of prickly pear here from Jeju so I'm thinking about ordering some when he stops pooping again. He went yesterday! Was a day of celebration haha (also his poop is the exact color of the substrate. was terribly difficult to find).

Thank you for the care sheet! Really useful information. I hope my baby boy stays healthy!

hyj1752

Seoul
My Hermann hatchling poops during his daily soak in the morning.
If I soak him a little late sometimes he doesn’t poop in his soak tub. I assume he pooped at his ‘usual’ time, and I may or may not find it in his enclosure. It’s common not to find poops! :)
Sometimes I find dried up poop that was buried in the substrate! If your digs under the substrate he may be pooping under there.

I soak him every other day, but he seems to not like going in the water. I have no idea why! Thanks for replying.

Skip K

Virginia

This is so true of the baby torts I’ve had. Maybe 80-90% of the places they defecate...is in their hide

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
15 Minutes every other day. Should I increase the time?
I believe you should. I do 30 minutes every day, but mine doesn't always poop.

If you can get on a schedule it might help. Feed at the same time every day. Then figure out when he poops. You might be able to get most of them in the soak. Sure makes cleanup easier!

I'm so happy for you and your tort!