Hermann’s advice needed

Phreeflow

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I’m currently looking at a group of 1.3 Eastern Hermann’s to purchase that are between 4” to 5.” The previous owner said they have been kept together with no issues and no mating behavior. However, I’m worried they are too small to breed and the females may get egg bound.

Should I keep the male in a separate enclosure for a couple years for them to get bigger or would it be okay to keep them together in a large enclosure?

I guess what I’m asking is: are they too small to breed at this size? If so, what size should they be before I introduce the male?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I’m currently looking at a group of 1.3 Eastern Hermann’s to purchase that are between 4” to 5.” The previous owner said they have been kept together with no issues and no mating behavior. However, I’m worried they are too small to breed and the females may get egg bound.

Should I keep the male in a separate enclosure for a couple years for them to get bigger or would it be okay to keep them together in a large enclosure?

I guess what I’m asking is: are they too small to breed at this size? If so, what size should they be before I introduce the male?
I think that Eastern Hermann's females would need to be about 7" to 8" or so to successfully breed.

It is doubtful the females of this group will become egg-bound as they are too small to want to cooperate with the male's breeding attempts anyway.

If you want to be totally free of worries, keep the male away from them until they are 7" or so long. It will be less stressful for both you and the tortoises that way.

Phreeflow

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I think that Eastern Hermann's females would need to be about 7" to 8" or so to successfully breed.

It is doubtful the females of this group will become egg-bound as they are too small to want to cooperate with the male's breeding attempts anyway.

If you want to be totally free of worries, keep the male away from them until they are 7" or so long. It will be less stressful for both you and the tortoises that way.
Thank you, that is good to know. How long do you think it typically takes for them to grow a couple inches? Should I expect an inch a year?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you, that is good to know. How long do you think it typically takes for them to grow a couple inches? Should I expect an inch a year?
With good care and a good diet, I think an inch per year is quite probable.

I never kept E. Hermann's but had many W. Hermann's, and those went from hatchlings to producing babies in three to 4 years.

I have also had a few Sri Lankan Star Tortoise males breed and produce babies at 3 years of age and females produce babies at 5 years of age.