heres my first indoor tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

orguss1

5 Year Member
Here is the enclosure i built. It is still curing (not sure how long to let it so i was figuring monday which would be 6 days for the polycrylic and 5 days for the silicone to set)

It is going into my bonus room on an older dining table which it will almost cover at 36" x 30" not huge but it is for winter and bad weather days.and we made it 21" tall to accommodate the piece of tempered glass i got to fit also figured after 4" of substrate the mwb bulb and night heat would still be over a foot upwhen it sits on the screen.

I used 1x2 for sides, back and front and and 1x12 and 1x3 for bottom using a pocket jig to make each panel (wood is pine)and countersunk the glass into the front panel and then made the box then took 1/4" birch ply to line the inside with brad nails made a split opening top one side solid the other lined with aluminum screening. I didnt want to color stain or paint it so my wife torched the outside and then i covered the inside with 3 coats of minwax polycrylic and 2 coats on the outside and a day later sealed all corners with ge silicone II and then siliconed a plastic liner to the bottom.

photo_zps6ff7e7e1.jpg

Cant wait to see them in it

Status
Not open for further replies.