Here we go! Beginning in SoCal... o(#)

tomat0

Location (City and/or State)
SoCal - Zone 10a
Hi there! :)
The end of a 10 yr journey with a beloved GSD has led to a vacant lot... unfortunately, there won't be any in the foreseeable future. However, as an avid explorer of the outdoors.. I caught wind of CDTs having issues at Joshua Tree due to an influx of park visitors.
One thing led to another.. and I've tentatively settled on leopards (SA, thank you @Tom for your continuous efforts) and stars. Sulcatas, CDTs and Russians are a thought as well, but I don't think I'll be capable of raising a Sulcata properly. I'm hoping to have a few tortoises.

I'm in the SE region of the SGV near Diamond Bar with avg lows of 30s in winter. Since my GSD, I took a hiatus from raising and breeding all sorts of creatures. I'm in the process of xeriscaping my lot and am looking to adapt the backyard for one :tort:.. or ten :)P just kidding, maybe).

It will definitely be protected (outdoor aquatics have taught me a few things with opportunistic critters) with a night box for heat. I try my best to simulate their natural environment and provide whatever I can for optimal health but not at the sake of extreme inconvenience. Access to hay is easy, and I can grow quite a few things.
Humidity requirements for some species seems to be my primary limit.

It'll be a few months before I even see a shell in my yard, but until then.. are there any local places I can view these creatures thriving? :D

tomat0

SoCal - Zone 10a
Hello and welcome.

Sounds like you are starting off in the best way possible. :)
Thanks, Tom! With your experience, how would you compare the tortoises you've had to each other?
I recall you mentioning that any species can be kept anywhere, but the work and resources required may not be desirable. With that, which species would you suggest I consider? I'm leaning towards the SA leopards and stars so far.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi there! :)
The end of a 10 yr journey with a beloved GSD has led to a vacant lot... unfortunately, there won't be any in the foreseeable future. However, as an avid explorer of the outdoors.. I caught wind of CDTs having issues at Joshua Tree due to an influx of park visitors.
One thing led to another.. and I've tentatively settled on leopards (SA, thank you @Tom for your continuous efforts) and stars. Sulcatas, CDTs and Russians are a thought as well, but I don't think I'll be capable of raising a Sulcata properly. I'm hoping to have a few tortoises.

I'm in the SE region of the SGV near Diamond Bar with avg lows of 30s in winter. Since my GSD, I took a hiatus from raising and breeding all sorts of creatures. I'm in the process of xeriscaping my lot and am looking to adapt the backyard for one :tort:.. or ten :)P just kidding, maybe).

It will definitely be protected (outdoor aquatics have taught me a few things with opportunistic critters) with a night box for heat. I try my best to simulate their natural environment and provide whatever I can for optimal health but not at the sake of extreme inconvenience. Access to hay is easy, and I can grow quite a few things.
Humidity requirements for some species seems to be my primary limit.

It'll be a few months before I even see a shell in my yard, but until then.. are there any local places I can view these creatures thriving? :D

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Ok, I THINK GSD would be a German Shepherd Dog, right? And I THINK SGV might be San Gabriel Valley. But I'm at a loss to interpret what the SE region might be.

If I'm reading this correctly, you've bought a lot and are in the process of setting it up to be a tortoise-friendly place, and you're interested in being able to go someplace to see successful tortoise collections.

If you're up for a day trip, give Bob Thomas a call and set up an appointment to go see his turtles and tortoises - http://turtletortoiserescue.org/contact.html

You mentioned our member, @Tom. His place is very much worth the trip too.

Most of our member's, @Will, turtles and tortoises are indoors, but he has a few outside, and he's in SoCal too. I don't know if he's ready to receive visitors yet or not.

Most of my fences are falling down, but if you'd like to really take a drive, come up and visit here in Clovis. I have a nice variety of turtles and tortoises for your viewing pleasure.

I wish we could go see the Ojai folks. http://ojaisulcataproject.org/

I would LOVE to be able to visit the Behler Institute!!!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, Tom! With your experience, how would you compare the tortoises you've had to each other?
I recall you mentioning that any species can be kept anywhere, but the work and resources required may not be desirable. With that, which species would you suggest I consider? I'm leaning towards the SA leopards and stars so far.

Russians, Hermanni, CDTs, SA leopards and sulcatas should all do well where you are. I've never tried to keep regular stars outside full time, so I'm not too sure how they would fare over winter out there, but they are small enough to bring inside for winter.

tomat0

SoCal - Zone 10a
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! :D
Yes, yes and yes @Yvonne G. I thought I had replied but it must have not gone through. SE just means southeast, haha. Just being a little specific in case it helped.

I haven't bought much yet but as it is my lot is quite tortoise friendly. Lots of broadleaf weeds abound from the winter rains. Yes, I am very interested in seeing these tortoises thrive in person. As much as I can read, observing them just gives a much more.. detailed idea of what they are. The last time I saw a large amount was at The Reptile Zoo in Fountain Valley. There were probably 20 or so rescued sulcatas confined to a small area (~100 sq ft). Much better than confined glass tanks but definitely not thriving if you asked me..

I'll keep @bob's sanctuary in mind for when I go up north, but @Will isn't very far off. I have family in San Marcos. I may give you a visit when I head to Yosemite! :p

After some more reading, I've come to the following..
*Sulcatas - Their personality seems to be quite liked and I can easily provide for their care, but even with potentially 4,000+ sq ft available, I still don't feel I can optimally raise them. They need all the space they can get and at the moment I can't guarantee that. I'm not at @Tom's level... yet!
*CDTs - I love that they're native but they can't be bred legally.. that's a bummer.
*Russians - Their <50° F hibernation requirement.. not that I can't provide.. there are more favorable options (CDTs).

That leaves me to SA Leopards, Hermanns and Stars. I'd love for the ability to breed and the possibility of keeping a harem -- or even two (separated males). Having competition should help stimulate their natural instincts. At the minimum, I can provide 1000+ sq ft with bountiful vegetation and a heated night box. How else can I narrow down the species?

tomat0

SoCal - Zone 10a
What do redfoot require in addition to the care of leopards? Would a jungle of plants allow for their humidity requirements?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Welcome neighbor!

I have CDT'S and Redfoots. The Deserts are quite easy to care for, as you know.
For my Redfoots, they have an insulated and heated, outdoor house that leads out to a garden, that I'm always planting in.
When our weather is warm to hot, I wet down the outside gardens several times a day. Their house is also wet and warm. They require a protein source every 7-10 days.

IMG_3809.JPG IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0034.JPG

Reactions: Tom

tomat0

SoCal - Zone 10a
Guess what?! I attended a tortoise meeting a couple weeks ago and am reconsidering redfoots! @kathyth @Tom
I did not make any additions yet, but have been steadily keeping the plans in mind since I first inquired. These recent rains have brought a TON of food into the yard, especially the area partitioned for future tortoises.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Guess what?! I attended a tortoise meeting a couple weeks ago and am reconsidering redfoots! @kathyth @Tom
I did not make any additions yet, but have been steadily keeping the plans in mind since I first inquired. These recent rains have brought a TON of food into the yard, especially the area partitioned for future tortoises.

That’s great! I really enjoy my Redfoots. Glad that you’re giving it plenty of thought and planning!
Keep us informed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my experience RFs don't do well here in Southern CA. It is just too hot and dry in the summers and too cold in the winters.

Any species can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time, money and effort, but some are simply easier than others. It looks like Kathy has a great system going for hers, and JD had a great set up too, but that is way too much work, and too difficult for my liking. Most of the RFs I've seen in our area are not cared for as well as Kathy's are, and most of them are just surviving and not doing very well. Same story with Aldabras. Our climate down here just isn't right for them.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
In my experience RFs don't do well here in Southern CA. It is just too hot and dry in the summers and too cold in the winters.

Any species can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time, money and effort, but some are simply easier than others. It looks like Kathy has a great system going for hers, and JD had a great set up too, but that is way too much work, and too difficult for my liking. Most of the RFs I've seen in our area are not cared for as well as Kathy's are, and most of them are just surviving and not doing very well. Same story with Aldabras. Our climate down here just isn't right for them.

Thank you, Tom! Redfoots are definitely more work than many of the other species.