Here we are (can you tell our gender?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shidiwen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beijing - China
hi everyone,

been a member here for a while but never did this introduction thing. now here we go - including pics of all our tortoises & turtles.

we have a pair each and we'd really appreciate the help of you guys to find out what exact kind they are (for the water turtles) and also what gender they are (for all of them).

here we go:

-------------------------------------------------------------
our elongated tortoises:

1:
001_DaGe.jpg

2:
002_XiaoMa.jpg

our leopards:

3:
003_MeatBall.jpg

4:
004_BigLeo.jpg

our yellow spotted turtles (?):

5:
005_CornA.jpg

6:
006_CornB.jpg

our chinese pond turtles (?):

7:
007_Salt.jpg

8:
008_Pepper.jpg

our 'no ide what kind they are' turtles:

9:
009_Sugar.jpg

10:
010_Honey.jpg

we are in china (beijing) btw and have had some of those turtles for quite a while. we have gotten different info on their gender as well as on the water turtles' exactl kind, so if any of you know, please shar the info...

thanks a lot, best regards from beijing!

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
OK I have guesses on a few. 8 and 9 definitely male. The two leopards look a little to young to sex for sure but right now the anal scutes are looking like male for #3 and female for #4. As for the rest, I don't even want to guess, but some of them look to small to sex for sure as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Stephan:

Wonderful pictures!! Too bad Egyptian Dan isn't here to help you. He's great with the I.D.s

I'm sure someone will be along to help you.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
#1 looks like a male, #2 looks like a female (both based on the shape of the anal plastral scutes just in front of the tail) and somewhat on the shape of the tail of each.
#3 & 4-I agree look a bit small (young) to determine yet but to throw a guess out there, I think both may be female. But again, they do appear too small yet to determine for certain.
#5 & 6-Both appear too small to accurately sex yet.
#7 & 8 are Reeve's turtles, (Chinemys reevsi), they can be notoriously hard to sex until over half grown, yours appear to be close, average adult size is usually around 6-7". Males do have a longer, thicker tail when mature and the cloacal opening is farther down the tail, usually past the point where the tail sticks out past the edge of the shell. Males also often have a very slightly indented plastron whereas females are flat. Taking a wild guess, #7 may be a female, #8 is likely a male.
#9 & #10 are Chinese Golden Thread turtles, (Ocadia sinensis), #9 is a definite male, #10 is probably a female.

Status
Not open for further replies.