Here is the 4x8 rendering of Tom's Night Box. With Exploded view.

Yunker

Tom where did you get the vinyl flaps for the door..?
Tom what size is the wood that goes around the Heater?

I am using red wood 4 x 4's that I had left over from another project for the runners.

When building this ..look close at the drawing as the 2 x 4 are important for the top and bottom when skinning the inside.

Yunker

here are pictures up till now
See how we needed to use 2 x 2 runners in order to skin the inside, if you use the 2 x 4's then you dont need to do this in order to be able to screw into.

20160303_180430.jpg 20160304_181014.jpg 20160303_184100.jpg 20160303_180430.jpg 20160304_181014.jpg 20160303_184100.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
You can save alot of weight by using 1 by 2 and 1 by 4. 2 by 4 is used in home construction for load bearing. There is essentially no load bearing going on with these.

Tom moved from heavy plywood to the thinnest to reduce weight. That can be further accomplished with thinner frame work.

zoey vagner

San Diego, ca
okay, so im looking to build this for my sulcata, this will be his first outdoor night box. how do you clean it? Did you weather proof the wood in anyway? I am not very savvy in the wood working kind of stuff.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey Zoey

Take a look through Tom’s original post on this night box construct. He has step by step info, and you can see how it’s constructed, then primed and painted.

Start building!

zoey vagner

San Diego, ca
Hey Zoey

Take a look through Tom’s original post on this night box construct. He has step by step info, and you can see how it’s constructed, then primed and painted.

Start building!

reading up :] im excited to get the project rolling along

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Sorry if I've missed this somewhere, but has anyone compiled a "shopping list" for the supplies needed for building a night box?

zoey vagner

San Diego, ca
Sorry if I've missed this somewhere, but has anyone compiled a "shopping list" for the supplies needed for building a night box?

it depends on what your making but my shopping list was

3 11/32 plywood
8 2x4
3 2x2
wood screws, you'll need 2 sizes
paint to heat uv and water proof it
hinges I got 4 larger ones and 2 smaller ones
power drill (we already had, my bf is a welder and does work)
sanding paper

other things not as needed if youre able to cut at the store
jig saw
saw

tortoise specific stuff
Kane heat mat
radiant heat panel
thermostat
extension cord

this is what I used :] hope that helps. mine was a 4x4x2 house for one sulcata male

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
it depends on what your making but my shopping list was

3 11/32 plywood
8 2x4
3 2x2
wood screws, you'll need 2 sizes
paint to heat uv and water proof it
hinges I got 4 larger ones and 2 smaller ones
power drill (we already had, my bf is a welder and does work)
sanding paper

other things not as needed if youre able to cut at the store
jig saw
saw

tortoise specific stuff
Kane heat mat
radiant heat panel
thermostat
extension cord

this is what I used :] hope that helps. mine was a 4x4x2 house for one sulcata male

I am about to make the same one. This was all the wood you needed? It doesn't look like near enough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am about to make the same one. This was all the wood you needed? It doesn't look like near enough.
7 sheets of ply, and I buy about 20-2x4s, 10-2x3s, and 4-2x2s. Plus lots of GE Silicone I, primer, paint, and I only use "Deck Screw" because they last forever and the heads never pop off. Don't for get 4 sheets of 1.5" insulation, hinges for the lid and doors and latches for the doors. You'll also need a plastic box with a clip on lid for your electrical stuff.

NBCMad92

Essex
This is a rendering I did based off of @Tom 's heated night box enclosure. Its probably not a 100% accurate. Door is offset to one side for my personal needs but can easily be moved. Let me know if you see any issues with it. Feed back appreciated.
High res renderings can be downloaded here.

See @Tom 's original thread here for more pics and his original ideas.

View attachment 89691 View attachment 89692 View attachment 89693
This has been really helpful for me! :)

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
7 sheets of ply, and I buy about 20-2x4s, 10-2x3s, and 4-2x2s. Plus lots of GE Silicone I, primer, paint, and I only use "Deck Screw" because they last forever and the heads never pop off. Don't for get 4 sheets of 1.5" insulation, hinges for the lid and doors and latches for the doors. You'll also need a plastic box with a clip on lid for your electrical stuff.

Thanks sir!

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
Tom I tried to pull your image,off of the post but it wouldn't work. Also do you have a cost estimate for the night box. Last question, living in Virginia, we get cold winters including snow. Do I bother with having them live outside then. So confused

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom I tried to pull your image,off of the post but it wouldn't work. Also do you have a cost estimate for the night box. Last question, living in Virginia, we get cold winters including snow. Do I bother with having them live outside then. So confused
Around $700, but there are many variables.

It doesn't snow here, so I don't have personal experience to draw from. Personally, I wouldn't try to keep a giant species of tropical tortoise in a cold climate like that. They need a lot of room to room every day, and it needs to be warm. I know people do it and sometimes get away with it, but I don't think tropical reptiles should be walking around in snow, and I don't think they should be cooped up in a small enclosure in a basement all winter for months at a time.

Others will tell you what they do or what they've seen, and that is okay. I'm just telling you what I'm comfortable with.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I keep a large group of Radiata up in the Albany, NY area - even colder than you in VA. It's not ideal. Mine are outside about 5 months a year (they are out if the nights are above 50 and the days are at least 70) and indoors the rest. I have never trusted an outdoor enclosure during the winter. If the power goes out when its 5 below, you could lose everything in a matter of a couple hours. A basement room has the advantage of only dropping to about 55f even if the heat is off for a few days.

Reactions: Tom

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
I keep a large group of Radiata up in the Albany, NY area - even colder than you in VA. It's not ideal. Mine are outside about 5 months a year (they are out if the nights are above 50 and the days are at least 70) and indoors the rest. I have never trusted an outdoor enclosure during the winter. If the power goes out when its 5 below, you could lose everything in a matter of a couple hours. A basement room has the advantage of only dropping to about 55f even if the heat is off for a few days.
Although we've never had a power outage that would be a tragedy. Husband and I are still trying to decide which way is best. Definitely going to be a bigger investment but I love them so be it. Thank you for all the input.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
We are only staying in this house for a few more years then we retire so at that time we will probably look for a better location for them, with or without us. What matters is they have what they need.

daveyjones1972

Sierra Madre
With the insulation (and perhaps some additional ventilation), this night box seems like it would provide adequate refuge from the heat as well. If anyone cares to chime in, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
With the insulation (and perhaps some additional ventilation), this night box seems like it would provide adequate refuge from the heat as well. If anyone cares to chime in, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!
Adding ventilation will allow hot air in. My boxes stay cooler than ambient during hot summer days. Insulation resists heat movement both ways.