Herbs

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
I have this overgrown herb garden, and I honestly don't use them. I was wondering could I feed them to my torts? It's basil dill...and I can't see what the other three are?

Attachments

• 20210810_131037.jpg
    20210810_131037.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210810_131048.jpg
    20210810_131048.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210810_131055.jpg
    20210810_131055.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210810_131124.jpg
    20210810_131124.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
I have this overgrown herb garden, and I honestly don't use them. I was wondering could I feed them to my torts? It's basil dill...and I can't see what the other three are?
My Eastern Box Turtle doesn't eat them BUT I use them in her bedding. I think she gets high off the Dill Weed though!

I can get cheap herbs in Pint sizes and her house smells like very strong herbal stuff. I also grind Coriander and Fennel.

I hesitate to use Garlic or Onion or Hing Powder though. I'm afraid they may be toxic.

I think feeding them herbs is OK, since my eastern box will eat poisonous spiders and centipedes.

You should dry your herbs in a dryer OR if you can afford it a freeze drier. The freeze drier will dry out pounds of herbs with very little loss of health benefits.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
My Eastern Box Turtle doesn't eat them BUT I use them in her bedding. I think she gets high off the Dill Weed though!

I can get cheap herbs in Pint sizes and her house smells like very strong herbal stuff. I also grind Coriander and Fennel.

I hesitate to use Garlic or Onion or Hing Powder though. I'm afraid they may be toxic.

I think feeding them herbs is OK, since my eastern box will eat poisonous spiders and centipedes.

You should dry your herbs in a dryer OR if you can afford it a freeze drier. The freeze drier will dry out pounds of herbs with very little loss of health benefits.
What on earth would possess you to consider using hing powder for anything other than cooking? I once ordered some online and the bag it came in had been damaged in transit. It came through the letterbox, hit the floor and some must have escaped through a tear in the corner of the bag.

The smell plagued me for months and months despite hoovering and wiping down every surface in the house meticulously. I had to replace the carpet in order to get rid of it.

IMHO the only thing it's good for is revenge and spiting your enemies... And perhaps curry.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
What on earth would possess you to consider using hing powder for anything other than cooking? I once ordered some online and the bag it came in had been damaged in transit. It came through the letterbox, hit the floor and some must have escaped through a tear in the corner of the bag.

The smell plagued me for months and months despite hoovering and wiping down every surface in the house meticulously. I had to replace the carpet in order to get rid of it.

IMHO the only thing it's good for is revenge and spiting your enemies... And perhaps curry.
I have a very small amount! One pinch in ANYTHING gives it super garlic flavor.

Believe me it's in a small airtight jar in a small space. I've had it for over FOUR YEARS and it hasn't lost it's potency!

I think in any Curry with very prudent cooks it would be good.