"Herbal Hay"

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you Tyler for explaining all about the ingredients and the shipping. I too always wondered why more don't use usps. I thought all their problems were just in my area and the illiterate carriers we have. They are not reliable at all and don't blame you for not wanting too deal with them. Btw, I love the smell of the herbal hay:D. Although my torts are not that fond of it yet, I do keep trying. I do know it takes some time and my leopard has always been picky anyway.
For others too try. Sneak in a little bit into their favorite, like Mazuri. I have just recently found, like yesterday, that if it's don't a little at a time, in something like Mazuri, the smell is not as intense and they hardly know, if at all, that it's there. The important part is getting them too eat it. They don't have too like it, to still get it fed too them. Think out of the box or just dumping it or sprinkling it on their food.:D

turtlegirl13

How should I go about introducing this to my tortoise when I receive the product. Sasha has been raised on mostly home grown greens and veggies as well as some 5 star dry food types. Until I joined the website I had never heard of giving leafs and such to tortoises but I am glad I joined so I can feed her right! :) Sasha doesn't seem to be picky though, when I have introduced new things to her in the past she will eat them right up! Let me know! :)
Thank you all!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Turtlegirl, to start: take one of Sasha's favorite greens. Romaine, green leaf lettuce..only you know which is her favorite. Get it wet and then sprinkle some of the hay product on it. The dry crumbles of hay will stick to the wet green. Because it's a favorite, she should eat it right up.

turtlegirl13

Team Gomberg said:
Turtlegirl, to start: take one of Sasha's favorite greens. Romaine, green leaf lettuce..only you know which is her favorite. Get it wet and then sprinkle some of the hay product on it. The dry crumbles of hay will stick to the wet green. Because it's a favorite, she should eat it right up.

Thanks for the info! :D

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I never tried Mazuri until my Redfoots were 2 (and I joined TFO). Now I feed it at least once or twice a week. My I. Star eats it, too. I soak the pellets and mix any greens in with the Mazuri. They all clean every bite.
I will definitely mix the herbal hay in the Mazuri.
I know it is good for the Star, but is this recommended for redfoots as well?

turtlegirl13

Herbal Hay Review

So, today was the day I got my herbal hay! I've got to say this stuff smells amazing, strong, but amazing! I am not sure what a tortoise will think though so I put Sasha to the test! I mixed some of the hay with some greens and put it in her enclosure. She walked right up to it and smelled it but it seemed like sImageUploadedByTortForum1390503619.570832.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390503631.559593.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390503646.344908.jpghe was going to eat it, she hasn't yet. But of course all new things take time, if she eats the hay in the next few days I will say 5 stars!!
- Jenny Anhold

Last edited by a moderator:

turtlegirl13

Review of Herbal Hay

So it was been a few days now and Sasha is loving her new Herbal Hay. I have been slowly giving her more herbal hay and less lettuce and now I have a mix of 50/50! Sasha actually heads first to eat the hay and then eats her lettuce. It has many leaves and plants which she really enjoys. At first Sasha didn't like the over powering lavender smell but after a few days she got used to it and now eats it happily. What are your opinions on Herbal Hay?

Kele7710

5 Year Member
Review of Herbal Hay

I basically got the same stuff with roses weeds dandelions this week, Stanley loves it :)

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
It only took two attempts to get Gotleib (RT) to start eating it!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I ordered two lbs, Tyler shipped it quickly! Thanks!
Already a hit at my house.

And Ken, my yard is mud/clay. There are no weeds to dig up. I actually go up to the mountain and get shovels full of weeds from a friends property.
And the front yard....well...my landlord would frown on me digging up the landscaping. Hahaha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My young sulcatas ate it the first time I offered it to them mixed in with endive. They aren't leaving any crumbs behind either.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
RE: Herbal tortoise hay - Tortoise Supply

First day giving my Redfoot some, and she really liked it. I also like the smell it brings to her tortoise table

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Penny my sully loved the herbal hay since the first day. Great stuff! I'm glad to provide her more variety: I even bought different weeds seeds to mixed even more. It was worth the money.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
My kidlets absolutely love this stuff! Thank you Tyler [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I bought a bag of Herbal Hay a few weeks ago. My torts have no problem eating it. I'll either mash it up with some Mazuri or sprinkle it over misted greens. Either way, they chomp down and eat it all.

I'm very pleased with this product and feel good about the extra variety it provides.

Thanks @TylerStewart

Randi

Canada
Tried to order here in Canada and I'm unable :( a little sad now.