Helpp Russain tortoise Shell rot?

SebastianTortoise

IMG_3692.JPG IMG_3662.JPG IMG_3659.JPG Ok so I got my Tortoise on Wednesday about and I think he has shell rot. When I got him I though it was just pelling. Well on Saturday it started getting worse. I feed him every day 2 time a day he has a heating lamp and a uvb like a water dish and a hut thing. But anyways I think its getting worse and im getting worse how can I treat shell rot I tried using Vild voline something like that I used it. on him for that past 2 days but its just gotten worse. Help me!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't see any shell rot in those pictures.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
Are you talking about the little white marks? Those look like old scrapes and dings, nothing to worry about. I don't see any shell rot.

SebastianTortoise

IMG_3705.JPG This was this moring. I found a like little hole atleast it looked like it. It a better pic. Should I stll have Alfalfa pellets as his bedding or should I do somtehing else?

M

Maggie Cummings

Those pellets are horrid. Use orchid bark, small size, coir, top soil, potting soil without anything in it. Just anything like that. He needs more of a firm footing. He'll get 'splay leg' from them. I always slightly dampen the substrate and you can't do that with pellets. I also do not see any rot...
and those spots are not rot. Old injuries is what I see.

SebastianTortoise

Ok thank you! I will re do the bedding to make it more firm for him. Do yo guys recommend me changing anything or getting something else for him?Cage.jpg

SebastianTortoise

Is this shell rot? to me it kind looks like it I contacted a vet but its over 100 miles away. Is there any home treatment.?IMG_3692.JPG

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It should fall off ,its like a scab now . It will be all good under the old dead stuff .

Rachel Sobran

maybe try loose coconut substrate... i don't think he will fit in the top left hut. i reccomend getting Sebastian a more accessible water dish, one he can easily get into. where did you get him from? what is his diet? has he went to the vet yet? how old is he? are you committed to taking care of him?

SebastianTortoise

I changed it to some dirt but kept it moist so its not dried out.the hut thing is just here for decoration he likes to climb on it. I also moved the 2 things around. I put the water dish more in the middle. I got him from a pet store and the lady knew everything about him. I got him fruit mix, romaine lettles stuff then some spring mix (made sure it was organic). and carrot things the lady gave me for a snack.. Also extra caluim supplement too. I just got strawberries from him today I only gave him one. I don't think he likes it. I want to get him more stuff. But I don't know what No im planning on it in the next week cause the vet we have to go to is 100 miles away. I don't know. I think 3 years I don't know how to tell I hoping to vet can tell me. And yes I am I wouldn't have spent over 250 dollars for nothing. I wanted a tortoise for over a year now. Im willing to help or do anything to make him healthy and keep it that way. He can grow old with me.

Rachel Sobran

I am glad you like him, where do you live? I don't mean to stalk or anything, but I might know where a vet is.

Homeschool Mom

5 Year Member
MN
Hello, there! We're in MN too, west of the Twin Cities area, and tortoise knowledgeable vets are rare in this area as well. I would be concerned about him falling off the hides that he's climbing on but doesn't fit into. When we adopted our RT, the place wouldn't approve our application until we sent updated pictures with "railings" on the ramp and upper level we had because a fallen or flipped upside down tort can be injured. Find a few smooth, flat (around 1" in height) rocks outside and sanitize them to let him climb/bask on if he'd like. If the areas on his shell have any foul odor, make the drive to the vet and get it checked out.

SebastianTortoise

20160109_004921223_iOS.jpg 20160109_004816711_iOS.jpg Hello!! Im very worried about my Russian Tortoise, Sebastian. I noticed the other day that if kinda looks funny looking on the bottom of his shell! Iv had him for almost 6 or more months when i just got him i was worried that he might have shell rot! took him to the bet he was perfectly fine and she thinks its just old marks if he fell when getting shipped or something. It just looks weird on his bottom of the shell what should i do? Dose it look weird to anyone else? It looks like if its been rubbing on stuff. I'm really worried about him. I got told to change from pelts to something harder so i picked dirt I water it like spray it every other day some times i grow grass in it to make it softer and make it offer it to him if he wants to eat it.. I feed him carrots, differ lettuces and this grassland tortoise pellets. Cucumbers sometimes for snacks. Id also like to to mix up his eating so hes not so bored of it. I don't live in a big town so biggest thing i have is a Walmart. I also feed him a Alvaro how ever you spell it plant as a treat. But im really worried about his shell and his top it looks Like spreading apart almost. is he just growing? First time have a Tortoise thank you very much!