Helping dog atacked egyptian.. adivce please

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
So the pet store had took in a Dog attacked hatchling.

This little guy is going to the rescue, I am transporting it. Owner does want it back...but her father died and she got the news when this little guy was outside, and her new puppy got out of its hardness, scooped up the tort and the owner grabbed it, but it was to late

But i would love a quick over view, of your recommendations.

Injuries are a week old.
Not eating
i hear that the she seen some of the insides and she stuffed them back in.

I am sure the rescue will take excellent care, but i dont have time to do the research. I just want to have some info for when i get there i can make sure i am on the same page as the rescue.

egyptiantort002.jpg

egyptiantort001.jpg

egyptiantort003.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Saw some insides and stuck them back inside.. ? is there a hole? Id say infection.. and may be to late..

M

Maggie Cummings

Needs antibiotics right away. If you are having it for a while get him to the Vet. Or soak a lot until he goes. Is there an open wound? That might need packing and cleaning. Probably infected.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
This happened a week ago, so every thing is all closed up.
The rescue will do there thing, but i am more wondering about.

what type of environment should he be kept in right now?

M

Maggie Cummings

How long will you have him? If more then 24 hours you need to start antibiotics, the longer you wait the less chance he has of making it. I'd keep him really warm and on paper towels. Quiet, in the dark maybe even. How long are YOU gonna have him? He really needs to be treated soon

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
The rescue doesnt do vets, and wont do meds. I only have this little guy till this afternoon.

M

Maggie Cummings

terracolson said:
The rescue doesnt do vets, and wont do meds. I only have this little guy till this afternoon.

He might live if you keep him, otherwise he's toast

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Than why is this tortoise going to a rescue that doesn't do vets or meds? I'm not quite sure why it's going there. They aren't going to do any better with this tortoise than the new owner would. The wounds are scabbed up, but definately not closed. This tortoise needs to see a vet and not a rescue. It is still suffering from shock (which wasn't addressed when it first happened). So it needs treating for that and needs to be on antibiotics as soon as possible to have a chance of making it.

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the rescue that terra works with does not believe in vets or meds, I really don't see their logic, if they won't treat it with meds you should just keep it yourself, it will probably die painfully and slowly without vet care and meds.

M

Maggie Cummings

Terra, aren't you close to Yvonne? Why don't you take him there. He needs to go somewhere he will receive treatment and care. You're good with reptiles, you need to keep him, hell, meet me at the border and I'll take him and get him Vet care...there are so many better options, is there a reason he is going there and not someplace better?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
That rescue has NO business taking it in if they arent going to get the help it needs. .. In fact, they can be fined for that.. No Providing Veterinary care. that is NOT a rescue...
please re consider handing it over to them.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
I'm probably no where near you, but even I would try to get the little guy here and take him to my job. At least my boss would treat him. Good luck though - hopefully there's a better option than the one rescue.

Saranna

M

Maggie Cummings

Well, I am getting the idea that Terra has no say in the matter. But if she does, I'll drive down and get it from her. The owner wants someone else to fix the damage and make the thing healthy then give it back to them? That's not right, but I would even go along with that just to get it the care it deserves.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Well I have no say in any thing, i just wanted some one to guide me in the ideal environment for him right now.

inside?
outside?
temps?
humidity?

but i guess i will have to trust some one elses judgement and hope for the best

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Will do Terra :)

No outside time at all. Inside should be a fairly sterile enviroment (on towels would be best). Keep temperatures at around 84F all the time (day and night). Lights on 12 hours. Soak twice a day. Dry off after soaking. No water in the enclosure. If antibiotic ointment is permitted, it should be used on the wounds.

We aren't mad at you Terra :p We are mad at the new owner for not taking this animal to a vet. Than thinking she needs to get it treated for free and wants it back. She isn't doing right by this tortoise. :(

No worries Terra :p We still love you :D

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Right...its not you, Terra, its the owner that thinks she can have the tortoise back for free, and the rescue for not using veterinary services. I won't accept an injured turtle or tortoise unless the owner agrees to relinquish ownership. If they'll pay for vet care and medication, then I'll consider giving it back...otherwise, its mine and when its well, I'll find it a good home.

I'm real surprised to hear that about your rescue person. I didn't know that about her. She goes down a peg or two in my estimation now.

M

Maggie Cummings

Guess you missed my post Terra where I told you how to keep him. I wish you could just keep him and get him some help...no, none of us are mad at you...more like mad at the situation. It makes us feel helpless...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am angry all the time

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Well the update, I took her to the Rescue , who has most vet medications and such on hand. She treated her for infections and is still treating "her" . She is eating now, and is doing well.
I am waiting on her to go potties. Then i will be satisfied she is ok.

I hope the owner make a donation to the club. I will recommend that she does, before she picks her up.

Even if the situation isn't all ideal, it is under control.

Now i must resume back to the world that has sucked me away from my PC..Avon..its so demanding...

please email directly if you want
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.