Helpful info for new star owners in India - from an amateur*

nuzul arief

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
hi there.. I owned young star (8cm) for a month now (I live in Indonesia) . here are some issues I found so far :
- for last couple of days he looks lost of appetite, but I found last sunday he eat the hibiscus flower greedily when I took him on the grass field with a very bright sun light. so I assumed he lost of appetite because he didn't get sun light for 2 days (rainy season here)
- when I put him on his indoor enclosure, he will look lost of appetite. I maintained his temperature with intense basking light (non UVB).
- I think I haven't saw him poop for 2 days now. is that okay?
- I found his nasal discharge (bubble nose) once yesterday. is that from lack of daily sunlight?
- I haven't check the humid level on his enclosure (the hygrometer still on shipping). is the humid level can cause the bubble nose?
thanks for any comments

Akhil

India
Bro can anyone tell me how to differentiate bw male nd female??
If u wnt to take a look at my torts I can send u

locado999

5 Year Member
Thanks to many kind and generous people, I learnt a lot from various posts on this forum and others. As a new owner, I often read many sites that had conflicting information and it was confusing to me at first. Also, some information is not readily applicable to conditions in India. I have owned the stars for about 9 days now. I prepared the attached spreadsheet which should be helpful for new owners. This is my attempt to give something back. I welcome suggestions to improve the content.
Bro it seems you are from Telugu speaking state. Aren't you?

PAVAN

Bangalore
Is carrot good for health ???..my star tortoise is of 2.5 inch..it's eating only carrot ...I tried giving the diet list too...but walks away ...is it ok if I give it for sometime until it eats other food or should I completely stop carrot ?...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Is carrot good for health ???..my star tortoise is of 2.5 inch..it's eating only carrot ...I tried giving the diet list too...but walks away ...is it ok if I give it for sometime until it eats other food or should I completely stop carrot ?...

Carrot is too full of sugars, and is not good for them as anything other than a treat. I would try mixing little pieces into other foods.

hrawal04

india
hi there.. I owned young star (8cm) for a month now (I live in Indonesia) . here are some issues I found so far :
- for last couple of days he looks lost of appetite, but I found last sunday he eat the hibiscus flower greedily when I took him on the grass field with a very bright sun light. so I assumed he lost of appetite because he didn't get sun light for 2 days (rainy season here)
- when I put him on his indoor enclosure, he will look lost of appetite. I maintained his temperature with intense basking light (non UVB).
- I think I haven't saw him poop for 2 days now. is that okay?
- I found his nasal discharge (bubble nose) once yesterday. is that from lack of daily sunlight?
- I haven't check the humid level on his enclosure (the hygrometer still on shipping). is the humid level can cause the bubble nose?
thanks for any comments
Similar problem mine is facing, he's also sleeping all day

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Similar problem mine is facing, he's also sleeping all day

If you don’t have the proper temperatures, that’s probably why. You need a 100 degree basking spot, with temps no lower than 80 day and night.