HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I need help with my setup for my 2 turtles, 1 mississippi map and 1 southern painted. I am wanting to upgrade my 20 gallon to a 40 gallon but the problem is i need a stronger filter and i found the aquatop CF-300 canister filter with 264 gph. I need to know if thats too much power good or bad. I also have a feeder fish that never got eaten and i've gotten fond of of him. My turtles are 4 1/2" and 3" so thats why the filter needs to be good strong because i've seen tanks with the fish using all their energy trying to get away:(:(. Thanks and the reason i posted this is because i went on a turtle forum and I didnt get any replies and only 10 veiws and i knew i would do better on here. :D:D:D:D:D. Thanks -matt

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Personally, you can never have too big of a filter. Especially when it's for turtles.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
wellington said:
Personally, you can never have too big of a filter. Especially when it's for turtles.

ok but is the gph too much i dont want my fish to get sucked up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It shouldn't be a problem. I have never heard of a problem of a filter sucking in fish, unless the fish was sick and weak or the aquarium was way too Small and there was no room for the over crowded fish to get away. If for some reason, it turns out to be a problem, just put a decoration in front of it.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
wellington said:
It shouldn't be a problem. I have never heard of a problem of a filter sucking in fish, unless the fish was sick and weak or the aquarium was way too Small and there was no room for the over crowded fish to get away. If for some reason, it turns out to be a problem, just put a decoration in front of it.

ok i have a fake plant but wouldnt that be a place it would want to hide?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would try to use something like a rock or log. The plant may get sucked in. The rock or log will give them a place to hide, but will also give kind of a break wall from the suction. Not really sure how to explain it. You can also place a sponge filter on the end too, extend the tube longer or put a bigger end on it. I really don't think it will be a problem though. Fish in the wild, has very strong currents, etc they have to swim in, against and with.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
wellington said:
I would try to use something like a rock or log. The plant may get sucked in. The rock or log will give them a place to hide, but will also give kind of a break wall from the suction. Not really sure how to explain it. You can also place a sponge filter on the end too, extend the tube longer or put a bigger end on it. I really don't think it will be a problem though. Fish in the wild, has very strong currents, etc they have to swim in, against and with.

Ok thats sounds right!

Status
Not open for further replies.