HELP! (wooden enclosure)

Thadus

Hello, I am getting a Russian tortoise and I am going to put it into a temporary enclosure until I can build my outdoor enclosure. The problem is that I am going to be using a wood enclosure and I do not know how I will keep the wood on the bottom from rotting. Can someone help me with my problem? ( Here is a picture of my temporary enclosure)20160716_163314.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Concrete tubs, you can take out that divider and sit it right in there. That house is 2x3 I think and that's what the tubs are too

View attachment 180535

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
View attachment 180533
Pond liner or a shower curtain on the bottom work.
Back some time ago, (30+ yrs.) for building aquariums out of plywood 3 sides and bottom with glass on the front for viewing I was told to seal the wood with marine paint. Word was, if lead free paint was used it worked great!
I know I'm a tortoise guy and I don't make these types of enclosures, but it seems they'd be great as sealant for wood in an indoor hatchling, moist environment.
Ideas from peoples please…

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I been wondering if this would work. I've been doing some research on it and it seems to be a great product, not to mention it's not expensive.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468765811.400085.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello, I am getting a Russian tortoise and I am going to put it into a temporary enclosure until I can build my outdoor enclosure. The problem is that I am going to be using a wood enclosure and I do not know how I will keep the wood on the bottom from rotting. Can someone help me with my problem? ( Here is a picture of my temporary enclosure)View attachment 180528

I did as @kathyth suggested when I had Oli's enclosure built.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:) Please do not forget to post pics of your tort once you get him/her. ;)