Help with powdered electrolyte recommendation

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eugene, OR
Pedialyte liquid for daily soaks of stubborn eaters is getting EXPENSIVE. There are so many powdered cheaper alternatives I give up in frustration every time I try to compare them generally falling asleep. Soaking in Pedialyte and babyfood carrots with some H20 added to raise water level and need cheaper PROPER ingredients powdered electrolyte substitute. Also if better mixture for soaks please tell me. PLEASE can I get a recommendation from an expert that keeps Hingebacks?

Last edited:

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

Not an expert, but this formula worked wonders with a hingeback that came to live with me severely dehydrated and got over the hump with long (6-10 hour) soaks.

If you want to go cheaper still, you could skip the honey and double down on the sugar, and also skip the babyfood entirely... I think the magic comes from the sugar and salt baking powder.

Having a big batch of it ready and waiting to mix with 3 parts hot water to make a soak made the soaks much easier also,

Jamie

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR

Not an expert, but this formula worked wonders with a hingeback that came to live with me severely dehydrated and got over the hump with long (6-10 hour) soaks.

If you want to go cheaper still, you could skip the honey and double down on the sugar, and also skip the babyfood entirely... I think the magic comes from the sugar and salt baking powder.

Having a big batch of it ready and waiting to mix with 3 parts hot water to make a soak made the soaks much easier also,

Jamie

Thank you so much. I guess I have a project to do today?! I remember seeing this but could not find it.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thank you so much. I guess I have a project to do today?! I remember seeing this but could not find it.

No worries, I'd love to hear about your results... after my reply I was thinking about making a stripped-down version of this with just the salt, sugar, and baking powder; I'd suggested ingredients like sea-salt and raw sugar because they seem more likely not to have funky additives.

Jamie

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
No worries, I'd love to hear about your results... after my reply I was thinking about making a stripped-down version of this with just the salt, sugar, and baking powder; I'd suggested ingredients like sea-salt and raw sugar because they seem more likely not to have funky additives.

Jamie
Hi Jamie;

I looked at your recipe and made a list and got all the goodies. Today I drove 80 miles round trip to get some 1/2 gallon jars. After I came home among other things I mixed up my first batch and after cooling tasted it. Boy that stuff needs all the sweetner it can get. Good it will be diluted. One really big question for you: In your recipe and in the note above you say use Baking POWDER. However you pic of ingredients shows Baking SODA. I made mine with Baking Powder. Now these are 2 different things so which is it supposed to be? Is the baking powder going to be harmful to them?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I don't know that baking powder won't work, it's still mostly sodium bicarbonate.

J

When I first saw that it said baking powder vs baking soda as Mark originally had, I thought it might be on purpose since you omitted the salt substitute (potassium chloride) and thought you may be using the baking powder to provide additional potassium.

ClaraBelle

California
I bottle feed kittens and use this recipe for electrolytes for them. Hope it's helpful to you.

4 cups water
3 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I questioned the Baking Powder as it has aluminum something or other in it but the soda does not. Can't recall AL being any kind of dietary need.