Help with outdoor enclosure for horsfield tortoise

LiamJMcIntyre

5 Year Member
Hello!
I have a horsfield tortoise that I try to get outside as often as possible and at the moment he doesn't have a great outdoor enclosure. Unfortunately we didn't have the resources to create a good outdoor ensure to start with but hopefully we can upgrade this for next summer. The problem I am having is that rain is getting into the enclosure at the moment and I was wondering if there is something I could mix with the top soil to help it dry out quicker. As in another substrate he would like, allow him to dig in but might go dry a little quicker. This is until we can solve a way of getting a rain cover lid for it. Thanks a lot guys

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello!
I have a horsfield tortoise that I try to get outside as often as possible and at the moment he doesn't have a great outdoor enclosure. Unfortunately we didn't have the resources to create a good outdoor ensure to start with but hopefully we can upgrade this for next summer. The problem I am having is that rain is getting into the enclosure at the moment and I was wondering if there is something I could mix with the top soil to help it dry out quicker. As in another substrate he would like, allow him to dig in but might go dry a little quicker. This is until we can solve a way of getting a rain cover lid for it. Thanks a lot guys
Hi Liam,
Not sure what substrate is recommended for Russians but I just made a very quick sunroom/rain cover over part of my outside enclosure by arching a big sheet of clear acrylic between one side and the other (i.e. a wall and used some tent pegs to jam the other side against) So its like a tunnel - very easy and effective but no permanent fixings. Or even easier and prob cheaper buy a mini poly tunnel that gardeners use.

LiamJMcIntyre

5 Year Member
Hi Liam,
Not sure what substrate is recommended for Russians but I just made a very quick sunroom/rain cover over part of my outside enclosure by arching a big sheet of clear acrylic between one side and the other (i.e. a wall and used some tent pegs to jam the other side against) So its like a tunnel - very easy and effective but no permanent fixings. Or even easier and prob cheaper buy a mini poly tunnel that gardeners use.
Thanks so much, is there any chance you could send a photo over the next couple of days if it isn't too much trouble

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks so much, is there any chance you could send a photo over the next couple of days if it isn't too much trouble
Will try - my cameras not working properly but will have a go.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Peat moss dries pretty quick and is good to dig in. Cypress mulch also dries a bit faster

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
This isn't what you asked, but I also found it difficult to keep the habitat dry enough. It took forever to warm up in the spring after snow melt. The result was a terribly short outdoor season. I solved that by making a hoop house for my tortoises. The habitat walls are cinderblock. Thin PVC pipe arches over it and support heavy plastic. That keeps the rain out & keeps it warmer at night. I uncover it every morning, and don't cover on warm nights.