Help with Ornate box turtle food

TurtleMoose

Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
Trying to figure out what else I can feed my ornate box turtle. I know she likes her bugs and strawberries but other then that she hasn’t eaten any other foods I’ve gotten her. I’ve tried spinach, kale, butternut squash, watermelon, apples, raspberries, green and red cabbage.

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Welcome!

Tortoises are herbivoires (they eat plants). Turtles are omnivoires (they eat plants and meats).

The main protein source for box turtles is earthworms. A good-sized adult animal at the peak of the season can eat a small handful every day. You can also try small fish, or strips of fresh water fish (perch, for ex), but they are less nutritious than plain old earthworms. Insects like crickets, mealworms, roaches are mostly fat, so they are better left as snacks or hide-and-seek prey items to encourage exercise for indoor pets. Slugs: they love 'em.

Plant matter is supplemental, but it is very important in terms of vitamins, trace minerals, antioxidants, fiber, etc.. In order to sneak more of them into the diet: chop dandelion & chicory greens, leaves from pansy & violet, edible flowers, and fruit into tiny pieces then toss them with a gooey glob of worms or slugs so that the slime makes the vegetation impossible to avoid. (I'd avoid spinach, kale, and cabbages -- they are hard to digest and can be gas- and diarrhea-inducing.)

Make sure your turt has plenty of fresh water for wading, soaking, and drinking. The high protein diet in these critters requires free access to water.