Help with new guy (soft shell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdkelty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I've been looking for another Leapord for a while now. Yesterday, I went to a reptile show here in MI and found a gorgeous blond. In a way, he is an expensive rescue and here is why.

As many of you can relate, I couldn't just leave him there with the vendor. I asked him what he's been eating and it didn't sound good at all for a leapord tortoise. My other little guy (Dozer) the darker one is strong as an ox for his size! He gets a variety of dark greens, clover, dandelion, mazuri, calcium with D3, soaked three times a week and proper lighting.

The blond has a soft shell (underside). The good news is that he is drinking and eating. I soaked him yesterday when I brought him home and again today. The three of us went outside for most of the morning, I gardened and they grazed. He has been sleeping alot when he's not eating. I really want him to pull through this and become as healthy as his brother/sister. If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thank you
Michael

ps. Although the blond is larger, Dozer is obviously heavier right now.tort.jpgtort2.jpgtort3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, its a slow process. You just have to keep adding the calcium supplement on his food, feed a good quality greens that are high in calcium content, and be sure he gets plenty of sunshine. Collards, dandelion, kale, mulberry leaves, cactus pads, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you are doing it right.

I'd skip the D3, if they are getting regular sun.

I'd soak every day and spray their shells 3-4 times a day.

Sun, hydration, and a good diet are your best bets.

mdkelty

5 Year Member
Michigan
Thank you to both of you, much appreciated! I will soak him every day until he improves. He hasn't defecated and I know that he was getting a less than adequate diet on an irregular basis. Like I said before, as long as he is sleeping, drinking and eating, I think he will make a comeback. When I took them out this morning he was active and even came up to me to say hello as if he knew I was there to help him. As soon as we came inside he went to sleep and probably won't wake up till tomorrow. Funny, I've had him for a day and he's already got me wrapped around his foot. lol.

oswego tort lover

10 Year Member!
oswego co. ny. u.s.a.
mdkelty said:
Thank you to both of you, much appreciated! I will soak him every day until he improves. He hasn't defecated and I know that he was getting a less than adequate diet on an irregular basis. Like I said before, as long as he is sleeping, drinking and eating, I think he will make a comeback. When I took them out this morning he was active and even came up to me to say hello as if he knew I was there to help him. As soon as we came inside he went to sleep and probably won't wake up till tomorrow. Funny, I've had him for a day and he's already got me wrapped around his foot. lol.

ive kept leos for 23 yrs ,i suspect a protozoan infestation take a fecal sample to your vet asap , its the soft shell that points to this...ed

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since '87? You are truly one of the pioneers. I was 4 years behind you. Saw/got my first CB in '91.

The protozoan thing is good info. I didn't know this.

mdkelty, if you do a fecal, please inform us all of the results. This info could be very helpful for a lot of tortoises out there.

mdkelty

5 Year Member
Michigan
ive kept leos for 23 yrs ,i suspect a protozoan infestation take a fecal sample to your vet asap , its the soft shell that points to this...ed
[/quote]

Thank you Oswego and Tom, As soon as he defecates I will take him to the vet and have it checked out and then post results. Two of the foods mentioned by the vendor I bought him from were romaine and strawberries, which tells me he hasn't received proper nutrition for a while. But like I said, he was very active outside yesterday and he is eating and drinking, which is a good sign. I told him (tortoise) to keep fighting, I swear on some level they understand, very wise animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.