Help with my Russian Tortoise Orwell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlynAndOrwell

5 Year Member
I've had my Russian Tortoise Orwell since July 1, and recently I upgraded his home. I have to keep him indoors unfortunately, ( keeping him outdoors permanently is out of the question at least until the girlfriend and I find a new place to live ) I just recently put him in a big dresser with 120lbs of topsoil topped off with coco coir and sphagnum moss(about five inches deep).

On one side is where I've been keeping his heat lamp and uvb light. Temperatures here regularly are 95°, the opposite side around 75...humidity is around 30-35 on the hot side, and 40-45 on the cooler side.

Underneath the ramp and under the second level it gets a little more humid, but he hasn't been under there in weeks.

I take him outside at least every other day for at least half an hour.

His diet so far has been varied, changing weekly from romaine lettuce, kale, spring mix, endive, a veggie mix I bought from petco, weeds from outside (no chemicals are sprayed outside) and dandelions.

Lately he's been staying exclusively on the hot side in the corner, (which is almost directly under the heat lamp) where he has dug a little hole in the corner. Since I bought him he would walk around through out the day, explore, eat etc. But the last week or two he will wake up shortly after the lights turn on at 7, move about 2 inches under the heat lamp, go eat very little. Then go back to his corner for the rest of the day.

He will eat more if I hold it in front of him. But today, he didn't even try for the food dish. I hand fed him to get him to eat and he did, then went back to the corner. He use to pig out, especially with the kale or romaine lettuce, but now he barely touches the food, and today I don't think he would have eaten if I wouldn't have fed him by hand.

The last two days he has been holding his head up with his eyes closed as well. Both times in the morning, but eventually he'll open them up like normal.

So I'm seeing lethargy, closed eyes and decreased appetite? Or maybe he's just too tired to eat?

This leads me to think he's dehydrated, so I've been soaking him daily for at least 15 minutes, always after we go outside, and misting his home/food.

I had also heard about the coil type uvb lights (which I was using at the recommendation of PetCo) causing problems, so just today I switched that out with a regular uvb light just to be safe.

I don't know if it's related but a few days ago he pooped when we were outside and their was hair coming out. Since then I make my girlfriend tie her hair back when around his home.

Other than that he normally poops every third or fourth day or so and lately it has been runny? But before about two weeks ago it was normal tortoise poop.

I don't know what to do, please help! I'm sorry for such a long winded post I'm just trying to be detailed. If you need any more info let me know. Thank you for any help.

The pictures are from before I finished everything, so the guard walls for the second floor look like crap in the pictures lol sorry

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1378254562821.jpg
    1378254562821.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 1378254588089.jpg
    1378254588089.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 1378254607438.jpg
    1378254607438.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 92

Irish

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando Florida
I suggest moving th water dish away from the ledge. If he falls on the dsh, that could cause damage. Are the plants safe to eat? I do not know if the rubber plant is. . . Keep up soaks.

MerlynAndOrwell

5 Year Member
Yea, I did move the water out of the way. This picture was also taken before I put up the wall on the second level to prevent him from falling.

And the plants are all safe to eat, I did double check that before purchasing them. The big one is a jade plant. Which I was told was ok for them to eat, but he doesn't even eat it. He doesn't eat any of them actually :/

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm wondering if he has eaten some of the plastic liner. Try feeding him some pumpkin, squash, or cucumber to cause him to have a bowel movement.

I would also build him a larger enclosure; at least 2' x 8' with a loft about 9" above the ground level.

I think you need to replace his water bowl with a terra cotta planter base. About 1" tall and 8" round should work nicely.

I would try setting a timer for his lights for 14 hours daily. He could be reacting to the shorter days thinking its time to hibernate. Bring your humidity up to 50 to 60%.

Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Do you ever soak?

The eye thing sounds like the typical eye burns we see with the coil bulbs. What is a "regular" UV bulb? If he is getting outside that often you don't need any artificial UV indoors.

MerlynAndOrwell

5 Year Member
I do soak daily ever since he started acting different.

I was also worried about him eating the plastic liner. He tore it all up in the corner he sleeps in, so today I'm going to put something over it to make sure he can't eat on it or anything.

By normal uvb I mean the non coil type. I went out and bought one yesterday that is NOT a coil type but have not installed it yet.

I decided I would remove the coil uvb light for a week and keep taking him outside as often as possible, and see how he reacts. If things don't change in a week or two then I'll try raising the humidity.

Throughout the enclosure there are varying degrees of humidity. One side is closer to 40%, but the side he sleeps on its around 25-30%. He used to walk all over the place so he knows where it's more humid. I also put a plastic container in upside down with a hole in it and I mist that daily and that gets to about 60%. He's been in there before as well, so I feel like if humidity is an issue he knows where to go.

If removing the uvb light doesn't help I'll try increasing humidity and see what happens.

Regardless I'm going to schedule an appointment with a vet today and get him checked out!

Thank you for the help!

And the terra cotta base is a good idea thanks! I've only ever seen him get in his own water once, I think it may be too difficult for him to get in and out of. (Although he does love to climb :) since I've started soaking him daily I've taken out the water thing completely though

Oh and his lights are already on a timer. I just realized today it was set for 12 hours though, so I bumped it to 13. Will change to 14 when I get off work#

Again thank you all!

smurfytherabbi

5 Year Member
My horsefield is behaving similar and I will extend his UVB light to fool him out of hibernation as he is 10 and we got him from a rehoming place and they said for the first year don't hibernate. A little reassuring to hear someone with a Russian is experiencing the same

MerlynAndOrwell

5 Year Member
Well after a couple of days of not having the coil type UVB light out of his enclosure, Orwell is back to his normal behavior! Must have been that stupid light causing eye irritation! Thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.