help with my mums red foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippy18

5 Year Member
hi all im new to this site and im looking for some help with my mums red foot.
my mum was given a fed foot as a gift about 7 years ago and i dont think she has had the best start to live. she was only a few incs long when my mum got her (gift from my brother) and she was only sold with a small glass viv and heat mat.no uv or basking bulb ( not to sure if red foots need these but im after reading they do) my mum was never told about needing a high humidity or about calcium or vits.
im after reading a load of care sheets on line but a lot a not saying the same thing so im here for a bit of help.
im after getting my mums tort a 4ft vivarium (we have sealed it) im planning on putting in there a 5% reptisun uvb bulb and make it so she can get within 6-8 ins of it.
a basking spot on one end of the viv and making a cold end with the high humidity (with a fogger)
the flooring i wasnt sure about so i picked up 3 blocks of eco earth,some terrarium moss(4.1 liters of it) and cypress mulch (8.8 liters) cuz ive heard all hold humidity well. i plan on putting some tiles in ( to protect the wood on the floor) and then putting the other stuff on top of the tiles on all or half or the viv.

now the things i wanna ask.

ive been told humidity should be kept at between 60-70 % is that right?

the temps ive been told 30c hot end 25c cold end is that right? and do we keep the basking spot as something or do they not need a basking spot?

am i right to use a 5% uvb?

how would you do the flooring in the viv? as ive read if i get it wrong it mite make she get shell rot and im really worried about that.

i really wanna make all the changes she needs but im not sure on what im doing. i own 2 bearded dragons and shellys (thats her name) care is not at all like the beardies so im half guessing stuff and would love if someone could help me out with this. i dont live with my mum and she is not a young woman so im trying to get everything set up so its easy for her and my dad to take care of shelly..

feel free to ask me anything and ill do my best to tell you what i know and i dont worry about telling me if i have got stuff wrong cuz as i said i kinda half guessing a lot of these things on what i do with my beardies but their care is no way the same.

thank you ever so much..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know much about the RF tortoises, so I'll let someone with more experience answer your questions. I just wanted to welcome you to the Forum, and say that your mom's tortoise is pretty lucky that you have decided to take an interest in it.

hippy18

5 Year Member
thanks for the welcome. im just trying to fix a lot of mistakes that have been made and just give her a really good home. my mum loves her to bits but she is out dated with a lot of the info and the pet shops dont help by telling her rubbish.. any help at all is welcome, i really cant say enough that im only going on what ive read and what i do for my dragons so for all i know im doing everything wrong..she is really sweet!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I don't keep my torts inside, but you may want to check out tortoiselibrary.com. Mark has some great articles on keeping RF inside. Good luck and glad you are helping your mum and her tort!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
How big is the tortoise? I cannot imagine a 7-8 year old Redfoot living comfortably in a 4ft cage.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Humidity should be 80% and above. But never let your temp fall below 80*. There is a link under my signature to the tortoise library. You will find good answers there

hippy18

5 Year Member
hi thanks for getting back to me. she is no where near the size she should be id say. im guessing about 8ins shell size but can fine out for sure 2moro and i dont know her weight. im guessing cuz my mum didnt have the right set up this has caused problems with her growing right.

i understand from what ive read on line she should be almost fully grown by now. my mum just took what the pet shop was saying was right and ive only just got in to reps my self so i started looking what she needed and was very worry about her cuz the more you need the more i think my mum needs some help. im from ireland by the way so we are really behind the times here.

Status
Not open for further replies.