Help with my leopard tortoise please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gjclews

I am a little worried about a leopard i have and i wondered if anyone had any help or advice for me.
I recently bought 2 leopard tortoises from someone and they are both about 3 years old. I now have 3 about the same age. The one i had to start with and one of the other ones eats fine, straight away and as soon as you put any food into their enclosure. But one of the ones i have isnt eating at all. I dont know if its the food we are feeding her, the move or something else but i could do with some help. We have been feeding the tortoises grass, dandilion leaves, multileaf apollo lettuce, red batavia, lambs lettuce, wild rocket, fruit but only as a treat and brussel sprout leaves. Is this diet ok or are we going wrong. My original tortoise is doing just fine and is healthy and growing at a good rate and the other one seems to like what we feed it aswell so i am stuck as to why this tortoise wont eat. I have seperated it from the other two at the moment to see if this helps things but i have put some food in for it again and it just seems to ignore it.
We have seen it try to eat something once, it went over to the food, sniffed it like they do, had a bite and walked off as if it wasnt interested in what it had.
There seems to be nothing wrong with it, it is healthy enough looking and has obviously been eating before.

Please help me if you can with some diet tips or anything else you can add. Your help would be great i look forward to hearing from you all.:(

Just Hatched

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I am no expert, as I only have a 4 month old hatchling. But I have read every post on this forum and can tell you my experience. When I first got mine I was trying to feed him what I had on hand. He would nibble a little and at first I thought little tortoises just don't eat much. Then I contacted the guy I got him from and he had been eating Spring Mix, so I picked up a bag of that and now he eats about a half a cup a day. It also took him a couple days to settle in to his new home and he would hide a lot. I would quarantine the new arrivals.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

Like was mentioned, you should have quarantined the 2 new ones when you got them. But now, just leave things the way they are now.
Just search the Leopard forum here and check out this website http://www.africantortoise.com/ for diet help.
You might try to add some fresh grass to all their diets. Also like was mentioned, you might want to find out what the other person was feeding them.

Danny

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
How long is 'recently'? It may need more time to adjust.
What was the first owner feeding it and what was the set up>?
Maybe its too much of a change..

Status
Not open for further replies.