Help with My HT digging himself down

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
I have a 18 month old Hermanns which I just built a new table for. It’s nine feet by three feet and has 6 inches of loam with coir mixed in. I have three 150w CHE and a basking light. Temps under and around the lights tange from 80-95. Then the ambient temp is around 70ish ( outside the lamp areas). Since moving him in to this new area last week he goes and buries himself really deep. I’m finding it difficult to dig him out in the mornings. He will stay out for his morning soaking and wonder around a bit and eat, but then he goes back under ground till I dig him out again?
I’m at a loss for what to do?
Thanks for any help!

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
I have a 18 month old Hermanns which I just built a new table for. It’s nine feet by three feet and has 6 inches of loam with coir mixed in. I have three 150w CHE and a basking light. Temps under and around the lights tange from 80-95. Then the ambient temp is around 70ish ( outside the lamp areas). Since moving him in to this new area last week he goes and buries himself really deep. I’m finding it difficult to dig him out in the mornings. He will stay out for his morning soaking and wonder around a bit and eat, but then he goes back under ground till I dig him out again?
I’m at a loss for what to do?
Thanks for any help!

He’s digging because the environment isn’t familiar. On top of that, digging is normal behavior for any young tortoise. Give him some time! I’m sure he’ll come around.

I saw your last post. The setup looks lovely!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have above the ground hiding places for him - caves, plants, etc.?

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
He’s digging because the environment isn’t familiar. On top of that, digging is normal behavior for any young tortoise. Give him some time! I’m sure he’ll come around.

I saw your last post. The setup looks lovely!

So if he stayed buried for a day or two at a time I should just leave him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. Take him out and soak him in a bowl of warm water for 15 or 20 minutes then place him in front of the food. Do this daily.

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
Yes, thank you...I have been doing that But shortly after he goes back down under.
No. Take him out and soak him in a bowl of warm water for 15 or 20 minutes then place him in front of the food. Do this daily.

Lynn1957

5 Year Member
Alberta
Okay thanks, that’s what I’m doing. Actually twice a day.