Help with lighting!

nix2404

Location (City and/or State)
Sandhurst
Hello

I'm new to this forum and have just got myself a lovely baby spur thighed tortoise. Unfortunately I'm having a few issues with lighting and heat for the enclosure. I originally purchased the Arcadia clamp lamp and a 100w Mercury bulb to use so that I didn't need to get a separate heat mat. I've now found that because of the design of my enclosure the clamp lamp is not suitable and I'm trying to find something else that I can use. I would br grateful for any suggestions because at the moment due to the cage my tort is in I have had to secure with cable ties which isn't great and the lamp also needs to be higher. Here is a picture if anyone can help please I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210413_140650.jpg
    20210413_140650.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

since you specifically asked about the light, I’ll toss this out. Remove that top screen and get (make/buy) a simple hanging adjustable stand so you can hang your light and easily adjust up or down. No need for wire ties, no need for the clamps.

Im not sure about the size of your enclosure, or your tort, or substrate, etc.

But, a quick fix is to remove the cage top, add a hanging light fixture.

Good luck

ps - just in case you haven’t seen this Care guide yet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello

I'm new to this forum and have just got myself a lovely baby spur thighed tortoise. Unfortunately I'm having a few issues with lighting and heat for the enclosure. I originally purchased the Arcadia clamp lamp and a 100w Mercury bulb to use so that I didn't need to get a separate heat mat. I've now found that because of the design of my enclosure the clamp lamp is not suitable and I'm trying to find something else that I can use. I would br grateful for any suggestions because at the moment due to the cage my tort is in I have had to secure with cable ties which isn't great and the lamp also needs to be higher. Here is a picture if anyone can help please I would be most grateful.

Thanks
Hello and welcome. First, lets get you started with the correct care info:

Here is the lighting info:

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. In the UK, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12%. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

nix2404

Sandhurst
Greetings.

since you specifically asked about the light, I’ll toss this out. Remove that top screen and get (make/buy) a simple hanging adjustable stand so you can hang your light and easily adjust up or down. No need for wire ties, no need for the clamps.

Good luck

nix2404

Sandhurst
Hello

Thanks
Greetings.

Good luck

Thank you for the suggestion. Its quite a big cage and was recommended by the breeder that I got my tortoise from rather than one of the wooden tables that you can buy on many internet sites. I was advised they are normally far too small and the wood eventually rots. I'm using a basic sterilised soil as substrate, again as advised by the breeder. I have a few real plants that I have put in and I'm hoping to get a few more maybe along with some stones/slates. I'm not sure if the top of my cage can be removed if I'm honest and as I have a cat I was happy that it meant he wouldn't be able to get in the enclosure and try playing with Trevor! I will attached another picture hopefully so you can see my full set up. The lamp I have is a 200mm Arcadia ceramic one so that I could use a 100w combi mercury bulb which was what I was advised to get rather than a lower wattage. I have a thermometer with probe to check the temperature but I'm really not sure how accurate they are. I have found an adjustable bracket that may potentially work but as the cage has a curved top and the lamp is large I don't know if it will still be an issue. I'm in the UK and this is all very new to me so any advice or product suggestions on a more suitable lamp or light set up would much appreciated. I would rather know I have a happy healthy tortoise even if it means I have to change my existing lamp and bulb. The cage is roughly 46in x 23in and the pictures are when I initially set it up and then realised that the lamp was far too low with the clamp on. As you can see i've managed to move it up higher but it is still 5cm lower than the minimum height recommended for the bulb I have used. Thank you for the care guide as well. Very helpful! ?

Attachments

• 20210413_093645.jpg
    20210413_093645.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20210413_183520.jpg
    20210413_183520.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
OK, first, MVB's are not good bulbs for torts. They are finicky, expensive, put out questionably reliable UVB, and burn very hot. The best basking bulb is an incandescent flood bulb...flood, not spot. You may be able to get one at a hardware store. If you can't, you can order these.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ITLXEYU/?tag=

Then you need a UVB light. This is what a lot of us use, or ZooMed also makes them. Notice they come in different lengths. You need to buy the bulb and fixture the first time. Then just the bulb.

You will need a CHE for nighttime heat. These must be screwed into a ceramic socket because they are so hot. They also require a thermostat to control them so they go on and off only as needed.

This is a good one. Be sure to get one that has 2 plugins, just in case you need another CHE.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E71VAG0/?tag=

When the breeder said to get this kind of enclosure, he kind of messed you up. Your tort should have a closed chamber so you can control temps and humidity. It makes your life much easier, and is much healthier for your tort. Read this post, and it shows some different closed enclosures. See what you think. The one mentioned that is made by Mark isn't available since he doesn't ship to Europe. But we have found a place that makes them.

This should keep you busy for a while. After you've read all this, come back to this same thread and ask questions. We'll help you all we can.