Help with Kinixys Belliana (Bell´s hinge-back tortoise)

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
Okay, so i have an bells hingeback tortoise and so far it seems healthy. It has gotten some minor scars but we checked it with a reptile vet and its nothing special.

But i cant find that much on kinixys belliana online or in books and i was just wondering if anybody knew a good care sheet or had some information. Again, its healthy right now but better safe than sorry.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Okay, so i have an bells hingeback tortoise and so far it seems healthy. It has gotten some minor scars but we checked it with a reptile vet and its nothing special.

But i cant find that much on kinixys belliana online or in books and i was just wondering if anybody knew a good care sheet or had some information. Again, its healthy right now but better safe than sorry.

Hello,
They are quite easy to set up. Mulch(cypress) mixed with pat moss, or soil always works well for a substrate. They like to hide under foliage and in hides. Temperatures during the day mid 80s to low 90s spray enclosure once a day or so to elevate humidity, mid 70s at night is ok for a drop. They will eat just about anything.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I keep mine just a little cooler than Kelly does. How did you happen to get a Bell?

Korall

Sweden
Hi! I keep mine just a little cooler than Kelly does. How did you happen to get a Bell?
Well im not really sure, the reptile shop happend to have one. And an unusual thing about my bells hingeback is that it has never been shy, not even in the reptile shop so i instantly fell in love with it :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Most of my Balls have also been that way. Is it a male or female?

Korall

Sweden
Most of my Balls have also been that way. Is it a male or female?
Uhh, i dont know really. xP
But i only have one alone so i guess it dosent really matter.

Any indications of its gender?

Korall

Sweden
Hello,
They are quite easy to set up. Mulch(cypress) mixed with pat moss, or soil always works well for a substrate. They like to hide under foliage and in hides. Temperatures during the day mid 80s to low 90s spray enclosure once a day or so to elevate humidity, mid 70s at night is ok for a drop. They will eat just about anything.
If i use soil, will any non-fertilized, non-treated soil do? Im thinking i could plant some cat grass on it to increase humidity.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
If i use soil, will any non-fertilized, non-treated soil do? Im thinking i could plant some cat grass on it to increase humidity.
Yep plain soil will work just fine. Mulch helps with humidity too. The deeper the substrate the better and more likely to establish a well balanced mini ecosystem.

Korall

Sweden
Yep plain soil will work just fine. Mulch helps with humidity too. The deeper the substrate the better and more likely to establish a well balanced mini ecosystem.
Also if you want to take a look at my tortoise, here are some pictures (Though my camera and the lighting is bad so the pictures may be unclear)

So, apart from the scars, does he look healthy too you? (From what you can see from these unclear pictures)
I think his skin could be a bit dry but i´m working on it.

Also, because you cant see this in the pictures i´m just going to note this, my tortoises eyes are clear black and its nostrils are clear too.

IMG_0546.JPGIMG_0544.JPG IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    427.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    506.6 KB · Views: 5

Korall

Sweden
I don't see any scars. Looks great. I'd for sure add some moisture to help with the skin.
Yeah, i am working on raising the humidity in the terrarium, mainly changing the substrate and getting some plants, any plants you would recommend?

And also, is it okay if i slightly spray/soak my bells hingeback tortoise with some warm water every now and then?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Anything in the viola/violet/pansy family, hosta, quite a few members grow rose of sharon seeds and plant the seedlings in their habitats. Tortoises love the leaves of squash and grape vines.

Korall

Sweden
Anything in the viola/violet/pansy family, hosta, quite a few members grow rose of sharon seeds and plant the seedlings in their habitats. Tortoises love the leaves of squash and grape vines.
Thanks, il see if i can get some of those.

Korall

Sweden
Hello,

Also, on the topic of food, I'm not sure what to feed my little tort, I know I can feed him/her weeds/leaves, vegetables, insects and sometimes some fruit (But not too much) I've also heard that their food should be low on protein, fat, phosphorus and sugar and high on fiber, vitamins and calcium. But.. I'm not sure what to feed my tortoise exactly, any recommendations or info about this?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Also, on the topic of food, I'm not sure what to feed my little tort, I know I can feed him/her weeds/leaves, vegetables, insects and sometimes some fruit (But not too much) I've also heard that their food should be low on protein, fat, phosphorus and sugar and high on fiber, vitamins and calcium. But.. I'm not sure what to feed my tortoise exactly, any recommendations or info about this?
This species will readily consume worms. Don't offer too often though they can get hooked on them. I feed about once a week when around this size.

Mushrooms, dandelions, any broad leaf green really. Fruits also sparingly, they can get addicted to them too. They like cactus too.

Korall

Sweden
This species will readily consume worms. Don't offer too often though they can get hooked on them. I feed about once a week when around this size.
Mushrooms, dandelions, any broad leaf green really. Fruits also sparingly, they can get addicted to them too. They like cactus too.

Okay, its kind of hard for me to get worms during the winter, maybe they are avaliable at some pet shops so i´l have to check.

Will any non-poisonous mushroom do? Like store bought champignon? Because i can´t really pick mushrooms in the wild during the winter.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Okay, its kind of hard for me to get worms during the winter, maybe they are avaliable at some pet shops so i´l have to check.

Will any non-poisonous mushroom do? Like store bought champignon? Because i can´t really pick mushrooms in the wild during the winter.
Yep, store
Bought mushrooms are perfect. For sure wouldn't try to pick any. Fungi can get very difficult to identify. So many species, and lots
Can be toxic. Worms aren't that huge of a deal. But they do love them.

Korall

Sweden
Yep, store
Bought mushrooms are perfect. For sure wouldn't try to pick any. Fungi can get very difficult to identify. So many species, and lots
Can be toxic. Worms aren't that huge of a deal. But they do love them.

Okay so now I know, my tortoise's diet should be made up of: Green leaves (Dandelion, lettuce etc), small amounts of fruit and some store bought mushrooms. Also is it okay to feed them slices of cucumber occasionally?
And another thing, should I feed my tortoise daily? Because I have found lots of mixed information about this.