Help with identifying type.........

Parais11

Location (City and/or State)
Plainview ny
FBB2FBDE-0925-4433-AA01-BCE88F81A7F0.jpeg 1A299F96-E05E-470A-AC26-E7FCEA7BBA88.jpeg hello- I am in the process of possibly picking up (saving) this tortoise from a sub par situation. Does anyone know what type of hingeback this is. I want to say speke’s but I can’t be sure and the current owner does not know. He says it’s a female and that she is 5 years old. These are the only pics he was able to send me. Does anyone have the expertise to give me any information from these pics. Thanks a million.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
As Will said, it's definitely a Kinixys homeana. I see the Fauna post- IMHO, this looks like a wild caught specimen. Did the person you acquire it from say that it was captive bred? The really smooth growth and also some of the blotching on parts of the carapacial scutes is indicative that this is a wild caught imported animal.

Parais11

Plainview ny
As Will said, it's definitely a Kinixys homeana. I see the Fauna post- IMHO, this looks like a wild caught specimen. Did the person you acquire it from say that it was captive bred? The really smooth growth and also some of the blotching on parts of the carapacial scutes is indicative that this is a wild caught imported animal.
Yes, but I wast told that he raised it from a hatchling. Now I’m staring to question this fact. I know he has had it for at least a couple of years, so at least I know if it’s not CB it is well acclimated. Any other suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. I honestly put the post up on fauna Incase someone really needs a female as I know they are hard to get. But I really think I’m going to keep her. Very cool and different animal. And she has an awesome personality. Are you able to tell the age. Or guesstimate? I was told she was around 5 yrs. does that seem right?

Parais11

Plainview ny
I have to say, she looks absolutely healthy and thriving. I have read that wild caught usually do not do well. So I either got real lucky with this gal, or the person who raised her did a heck of a job.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
I have to say, she looks absolutely healthy and thriving. I have read that wild caught usually do not do well. So I either got real lucky with this gal, or the person who raised her did a heck of a job.

That's great to hear- So you were just going on the fact that it is CB because it is healthy and acclimated? Yep, acclimated WC animals are rare, but it's possible. I have 7 that are amazing healthy animals, and they are all wild caught imports. It requires a ton of dedication and a great connection with a tortoise vet to get them acclimated.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
One more thing @Parais11 . We advise against feeding fruits. Animal protein in the form of earthworms, pikie mice, slugs, snails, starchy fruits like squash, sweet potato, mazuri tortoise, zoomed aquatic turtle diet, and mushrooms, mushrooms mushrooms are all favorites of Homeana. OK fruits from time to time include Papaya, Figs, and watermelon rinds.

Parais11

Plainview ny
One more thing @Parais11 . We advise against feeding fruits. Animal protein in the form of earthworms, pikie mice, slugs, snails, starchy fruits like squash, sweet potato, mazuri tortoise, zoomed aquatic turtle diet, and mushrooms, mushrooms mushrooms are all favorites of Homeana. OK fruits from time to time include Papaya, Figs, and watermelon rinds.
That’s good to hear. I was under the impression that they can eat fruits regularly from all the care sheets I read. I know about the mushrooms, she will chase me for them. Lol. Zoomed aquatic turtle diet is ok? The same stuff I feed my terrapins? Lol. That makes it easy. Wow. You are full of knowledge. What’s your take on lighting. I have a ceramic heat emitter in a thermostat set to 83 roughly in the center of the enclosure. I have a uvb tube on one side of the enclosure and a water dish large enough for her to soak in. I’m under the impression they aren’t too fond of light, otherwise I’d use an MVB. I also have a hide I made out of bricks and pavers for a more natural feel. Is this ok? I’ve had many turtles and tortoises, but never one of these. She is in a closed chamber enclosure, and gets daily outside time in the good weather. Any suggestions or feedback would be awesome. Thank you all.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
That’s good to hear. I was under the impression that they can eat fruits regularly from all the care sheets I read. I know about the mushrooms, she will chase me for them. Lol. Zoomed aquatic turtle diet is ok? The same stuff I feed my terrapins? Lol. That makes it easy. Wow. You are full of knowledge. What’s your take on lighting. I have a ceramic heat emitter in a thermostat set to 83 roughly in the center of the enclosure. I have a uvb tube on one side of the enclosure and a water dish large enough for her to soak in. I’m under the impression they aren’t too fond of light, otherwise I’d use an MVB. I also have a hide I made out of bricks and pavers for a more natural feel. Is this ok? I’ve had many turtles and tortoises, but never one of these. She is in a closed chamber enclosure, and gets daily outside time in the good weather. Any suggestions or feedback would be awesome. Thank you all.

Yep, zoomed aquatic turtle diet is what several of us feed, along with mazuri tortoise. I use a CHE in some of my enclosures as well, the trick is to not bake these guys, they don't need much heat. My CHE's are on one side of the enclosure and they rarely use the heated side, but they occasionally do. My temperature gradient is from the lower 80's to the lower 70's. Very limited light- I also use one UVB bulb on one side, the heated side, of the enclosures. Giving these guys a light gradient is key- Try to imagine recreating a shaft of light beaming through the African forest, surrounded by very darked, shaded, forest floor. Yes, stay away from MVB's- too hot. Yes, hides are great, she should do well. Closed chamber is great to ensure 60%+ relative humidity. In general we don't recommend keeping them outside at all- they seem to be quite sensitive to temperature extremes. I would say for certain that this animal is 100% Wild Caught, and the person that you got it from was simply making up a story that she's had this from a hatchling. I wouldn't tell anybody at all that you think it is CBB. It's just not. It's too old, has very typical natural growth patterns and weathering, and it very much appears to be a well acclimated but wild caught animal. Also, it is interesting that it doesn't have a Nuchal Scute.

Would you be able to take a picture of the tortoise from the side so we can see a profile of the carapace?

Thanks! Good luck...

Parais11

Plainview ny
6A85B928-55AE-41E3-984F-3E64CAE111F1.jpeg AFA23F34-999C-4965-B0A1-AF1BB6817423.jpeg 922C3187-80BC-4275-97A0-1A427F3C7A5A.jpeg C87E7CD1-1215-4398-8B3F-09493AF23A74.jpeg
Yep, zoomed aquatic turtle diet is what several of us feed, along with mazuri tortoise. I use a CHE in some of my enclosures as well, the trick is to not bake these guys, they don't need much heat. My CHE's are on one side of the enclosure and they rarely use the heated side, but they occasionally do. My temperature gradient is from the lower 80's to the lower 70's. Very limited light- I also use one UVB bulb on one side, the heated side, of the enclosures. Giving these guys a light gradient is key- Try to imagine recreating a shaft of light beaming through the African forest, surrounded by very darked, shaded, forest floor. Yes, stay away from MVB's- too hot. Yes, hides are great, she should do well. Closed chamber is great to ensure 60%+ relative humidity. In general we don't recommend keeping them outside at all- they seem to be quite sensitive to temperature extremes. I would say for certain that this animal is 100% Wild Caught, and the person that you got it from was simply making up a story that she's had this from a hatchling. I wouldn't tell anybody at all that you think it is CBB. It's just not. It's too old, has very typical natural growth patterns and weathering, and it very much appears to be a well acclimated but wild caught animal. Also, it is interesting that it doesn't have a Nuchal Scute.

Would you be able to take a picture of the tortoise from the side so we can see a profile of the carapace?

Thanks! Good luck...
Here are some pics I just took. Let me know if you need anything specific. Interested to see what you think.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
View attachment 278675 View attachment 278676 View attachment 278677 View attachment 278678
Here are some pics I just took. Let me know if you need anything specific. Interested to see what you think.

Thanks! Yep, it’s definitley a Homeana that is missing it’s Nuchal Scute. The squared off end to the carapace is distinct and helps identify Kinixys Homeana from Kinixys erosa. Kinixys homeana does typically have a nuchal, a small marginal scute directly above the head, bit in his animal, it is missing. I think the person you acquired it from was totally lying to you. There is no way this is a CB animal. Just no way. I wouldn’t even entertain that thought. At all. Hopefully you find a good home for it!

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I initially saw your ad but was disappointed when I saw the pictures. As pointed out, the tortoise is wild caught. That doesn't mean that she won't be a good addition to a breeding group, but for those in the market for CBB that are looking to produce f2's, she's not a good fit.

For reference purposes, these are my CBB homeana aged 1 year to 4 years.

ydzV6Qp.jpg

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I initially saw your ad but was disappointed when I saw the pictures. As pointed out, the tortoise is wild caught. That doesn't mean that she won't be a good addition to a breeding group, but for those in the market for CBB that are looking to produce f2's, she's not a good fit.

For reference purposes, these are my CBB homeana aged 1 year to 4 years.

ydzV6Qp.jpg
Interesting they're CBB but ALL hiding in their shells. Regular shrinking violets:confused:.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
In their defense, I did just displace them from various hides in multiple enclosures to arrange the picture. They're typically rather outgoing, but late morning in the summer isn't peak activity time for them. During the early morning, late evening, light rain, or just a cool day, they'd be more outgoing. Especially if food was involved.

For example, at the time the picture was taken, their father was completely buried in leaf litter, either enjoying the cool/humid area or ambushing worms, not sure which. I've had him for around 16 years now and he usually investigates my activity when he hears me, but not on this morning.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Yes, but I wast told that he raised it from a hatchling. Now I’m staring to question this fact. I know he has had it for at least a couple of years, so at least I know if it’s not CB it is well acclimated. Any other suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. I honestly put the post up on fauna Incase someone really needs a female as I know they are hard to get. But I really think I’m going to keep her. Very cool and different animal. And she has an awesome personality. Are you able to tell the age. Or guesstimate? I was told she was around 5 yrs. does that seem right?

Age; no way 5 years. Personal guess would be more like 30-50 years largely based on lack of growth lines on plastron.