Help with Identifying this Tortoise please.

tim0015

Location (City and/or State)
Gelugor
Can anyone help with identifying this Tortoise?

For a bit of background, it just appeared in my mother in laws kitchen, she lives in North Malaysia near the thai border. Theres really nowhere it could've gotten into the kitchen on its own. Her Husband (my FIL) passed away a few days earlier, and she's convinced this is him re-incarnated.

Thanks in advance.

Tim.

IMG_4185.jpegIMG_4187.jpegIMG_4186.jpeg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
@harris deals with some of the Asian turtle species.
Any thoughts on this one?

@Markw84 is most familiar with North American species of turtles, but he usually knows just who or ask or where to turn to track down information on species outside the U.S. as well.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Can anyone help with identifying this Tortoise?

For a bit of background, it just appeared in my mother in laws kitchen, she lives in North Malaysia near the thai border. Theres really nowhere it could've gotten into the kitchen on its own. Her Husband (my FIL) passed away a few days earlier, and she's convinced this is him re-incarnated.

Thanks in advance.

Tim.
I can't tell for sure in the second picture, but is that a hinge on the plastron near the back legs?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
@tim0015 If the turtle sticks its head out, try to get pictures of any markings on the neck and face. That may help us identify it.

The turtle may be more inclined to extend its head if you give it a soak. Use water shallow enough that the turtle can hold its head out of the water without straining. Don't be alarmed if the turtle holds its head under water for a period of time. That will give it a chance to drink.

tim0015

Gelugor
It seems much more animated now that it's in water. It did hold his head underwater for a long time, but put it's head above water after a while. seems a bit shy so I could only get these photos

Attachments

• IMG_4192.jpeg
    IMG_4192.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4196.jpeg
    IMG_4196.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4195.jpeg
    IMG_4195.jpeg
    969.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4194.jpeg
    IMG_4194.jpeg
    965.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4193.jpeg
    IMG_4193.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
A couple more questions that might help to identify the turtle:
  • What size is the turtle?
  • Are there any raised ridges (keels) along the top of the shell?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
It seems much more animated now that it's in water. It did hold his head underwater for a long time, but put it's head above water after a while. seems a bit shy so I could only get these photos
Two of those pictures show a scalloped or irregular edge to the turtle's carapace. I'm beginning to wonder if it's possibly a leaf turtle of some kind (but that would still be nothing but an absolute GUESS on my part).

Hopefully someone more familiar with this type of turtles will drop by soon and make a positive identification.

Last edited:

tim0015

Gelugor
A couple more questions that might help to identify the turtle:
  • What size is the turtle?
  • Are there any raised ridges (keels) along the top of the shell?
The Carapace head to tail measures 8 inches. No raised edges along the top, it's fairly smooth save for the few spots that I'm guessing is from some sort of shell rot.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
The Carapace head to tail measures 8 inches. No raised edges along the top, it's fairly smooth save for the few spots that I'm guessing is from some sort of shell rot.
That should help. Someone will be able to identify it soon... Although you may have to wait until they wake up. :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Turtles as tortoises often stick their whole heads under water to drink

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure it's some sort of mud turtle. They live in slow moving, shallow water, and can't swallow food unless they're submerged in water.