Help with gnats!

PixelAdams

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
So I have a bit of a bug problem in my enclosure. I first noticed it after I added the topsoil, before I even got my tortoise. Now there's more and more gnats all the time. They've spread from buzzing around her food and lights to buzzing around the plants in my windowsill. I know I can't spray anything. Would some kind of flypaper around the top of the enclosure (where she can't reach) work?

How do I get rid of these gnats? :-(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's pretty cold these days in Chicago, but do you ever have ANY sunny days? One thing to do to get rid of gnats is dry the substrate and sit it in the sun. Every so often stir it up.

If you can't do that, then I'm afraid you're going to have to dump the whole thing and start over. But this time don't allow the substrate to be so wet.

Some folks have had good luck sprinkling food grade diatomaceous earth over the substrate. The tiny, sharp particles cut up the gnats and they 'bleed' to death.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Orchid bark underneath a layer of dry potting soil is what I use. Ad water into the corners and the bark absorbs the moisture and leaves the soil dry. I have no gnats.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I got a few of these at wal-mart put them in the enclosure and it worked great.

Attachments

• fly 2.jpg
    fly 2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 29

PixelAdams

Chicago
It's pretty cold these days in Chicago, but do you ever have ANY sunny days? One thing to do to get rid of gnats is dry the substrate and sit it in the sun. Every so often stir it up.

If you can't do that, then I'm afraid you're going to have to dump the whole thing and start over. But this time don't allow the substrate to be so wet.

Some folks have had good luck sprinkling food grade diatomaceous earth over the substrate. The tiny, sharp particles cut up the gnats and they 'bleed' to death.

Unfortunately changing the substrate or putting it outside isn't really an option right now. It's very damp because I spray it all the time, but that's to keep the humidity up for my tortoise. I thought a dry substrate was bad. I have 4-6 inches of topsoil with cypress mulch on top. The mulch dries out really fast but the soil stays moist underneath, which was what I thought I should be aiming for.

I'll try some of those fly traps or paper and see if that helps. It's more of a nuisance that a serious problem.

The diatomaceous earth wouldn't hurt the tortoise? If it could injure gnats I would worry about it getting in my torts eyes. She's very small.

Krabby

MA
I had the same problem, I ordered these from Amazon that took care of the problem:
Fly Stick 10.5" Traps Flies, Moths, Wasps, Gnats and other Flying Insects

21KyeAiNtTL.jpg

Fly Stick 10.5" Traps Flies, Moths, Wasps...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Unfortunately changing the substrate or putting it outside isn't really an option right now. It's very damp because I spray it all the time, but that's to keep the humidity up for my tortoise. I thought a dry substrate was bad. I have 4-6 inches of topsoil with cypress mulch on top. The mulch dries out really fast but the soil stays moist underneath, which was what I thought I should be aiming for.

I'll try some of those fly traps or paper and see if that helps. It's more of a nuisance that a serious problem.

The diatomaceous earth wouldn't hurt the tortoise? If it could injure gnats I would worry about it getting in my torts eyes. She's very small.
You've got it backwards. With the mulch on top, it will dry out too quickly. Put it underneath the top soil. The bark will absorb the moisture and you'll have your humidity and no need to mist. You can pour a little water in by a cup into the corners if your enclosure. Your tortoise should not stay wet or even damp. See my above post. Also no. Diatomaceous earth will NOT harm your tortoise, however, I wouldn't use it in your situation because of the high humidity. It will clump and be ineffective.

Gennifer11

I had a terrible problem with the gnats since I have so many plants indoors. If I got rid of them in my enclosure, they would thrive in my plants and then come back to the enclosure later. Very annoying. I had to keep getting fresh substrate, I hung the sticky fly traps across the enclosure (that did pretty well, just make sure your tort doesn't get into it) I finally got a closed enclosure and that's helping quite a bit. Still have these beasts flying around my house tho.....

Attachments

• 1422942777378.jpg
    1422942777378.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 24

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
i've just had a similar problem last week after putting some new plants in the enclosure. think they where green fly tho. i assume the plant had eggs on it that hatched with the heat in the house. all i did was suck them up the hoover i gave the plant a gently shake so the bugs lifted off and the got sucked up. if any more hatch out they'll get the same treatment :D.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I have used 'no pest strips' for years with great success. They not only kill gnats but also mosquitoes, flies and small crawling bugs. Hang them in the room well away from the enclosure. They work like a charm! I know... I'm evil and have no idea what I'm doing - for the last 40 years or so! I have used them for flying critters, mites and all sorts of other pesky critters with excellent results and no ill effects to the animals.

Reminder: Use as directed on the package & Do NOT place them near the enclosure!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
'Terro fruit fly traps' work fantastic! Try these before everything else. They're cheap and easy. They even look cute! Fin them at walmart if not other locals.