Help with feeding adult sucatas

Kadels

5 Year Member
@Kadels asked: "Picking up on something the OP said -- I am in AZ and I have a grapevine. I don't know what kind, but last year it produced green grapes (that the birds ate before I could even see if they were edible for humans). Could I cut off some of the vines and let my Sulcata (nearly age 9) eat the leaves off the vines???"

Yes you can. I find it better to pull leaves and offer them separately, but you can cut whole vines too. Grape leaves are a great tortoise food. Look around the neighborhood and see if you can also find a mulberry tree. The leaves are great tortoise food. You should also be growing some spineless opuntia.
Thanks Tom. I have planted three spineless opuntia. One was growing pretty well last year, but in the past 8 months or so, they haven’t seem to have grown at all.

MsParedes

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Atwater CA
I just want to let everyone know how it's going. I have been soaking hay and mixing it with grass and leaves, but they seem to be very good at picking the green stuff out. So, that will be a battle of wills.
I bought a Corona 14ft pruner and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
I have 5 Mulberry trees and 2 huge grape vines that have wondered into nearby trees. The pruner has made things easier for me in many ways, one being the ability to feed **** and Annie a wider variety of food daily.
That is the best $70 I could have spent, so thanks for that advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thanks Tom. I have planted three spineless opuntia. One was growing pretty well last year, but in the past 8 months or so, they haven’t seem to have grown at all.
They go dormant in fall/winter.

TortoiseSupply.com