Help with dog parasites

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Long story short: My new puppy received her second round of shots with a fecal test. The fecal test was negative.
Two days later when she was pooping, out came a white worm in the poo. it was moving and about 5mm long. I took the dog and the worm to the vet, but the worm had died. It was diagnosed as a tapeworm and she was given a de-wormer pill. We go back in three weeks for her last shots and to check for more worms.
My question is does this look like a tapeworm? (I drew a picture of the thing that I saw.)
Also, a few days later she expelled several more that looked to be all dead.
The worm that was alive could get longer and fatter and eventually shrank and died. The drawing is of the general shape. Not the size.
would a general de wormer kill everything even if it is/isn't tapeworms?

Attachments

• 20151228_072720.jpg
    20151228_072720.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Long story short: My new puppy received her second round of shots with a fecal test. The fecal test was negative.
Two days later when she was pooping, out came a white worm in the poo. it was moving and about 5mm long. I took the dog and the worm to the vet, but the worm had died. It was diagnosed as a tapeworm and she was given a de-wormer pill. We go back in three weeks for her last shots and to check for more worms.
My question is does this look like a tapeworm? (I drew a picture of the thing that I saw.)
Also, a few days later she expelled several more that looked to be all dead.
The worm that was alive could get longer and fatter and eventually shrank and died. The drawing is of the general shape. Not the size.
would a general de wormer kill everything even if it is/isn't tapeworms?
Hey there! Finally I can be of some assisance! I'm in learning phases in totr knowledge but know thing or two about human medicine (we share many parasites with dogs/cats). Tape worm segments break off and come out the animal's butt sometimes with poo, other times they just fall out like little moving grains of rice. I once rescued a beautiful cat who was infested with all kinds of stuff including tapeworm. Our vet of 19 years is great about teaching and explaining things. And the dewormer pill should work on your puppy. I'm just curious about the vet check you had said your puppy had. Wasn't there a fecal test that was negative? Just curious

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes. The fecal test was negative..Though I am 99% convinced that no one actually looked at it. (I bought some of her latest in a zip lock bag.)
This time, I'll bet they actually check!

Pearly

5 Year Member
I know, it doesn't look anything like "a segment", it's just like... moving grain of rice! Crawling, moving, contracting, getting fatter then stretching, yes?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Tapeworm body is all those "segments" connected together into a long... tapeworm! Each segment is loaded with eggs and once eggs reach maturity the segments break off and host sheds them all over to assure perpertuating its life cycle

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Sadly they don't always find anything in the fecal tests. There IS nothing to be found if the tapeworm didn't shed any segments on that day.
It can be helpful if you take more than just one sample (if possible I always take samples of three consecutive days) but even then there's no guarantee.

Hope your puppy got rid of the tapeworm. ;)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sadly they don't always find anything in the fecal tests. There IS nothing to be found if the tapeworm didn't shed any segments on that day.
It can be helpful if you take more than just one sample (if possible I always take samples of three consecutive days) but even then there's no guarantee.

Hope your puppy got rid of the tapeworm. ;)
If it is true that each segment looked like a worm, then the day that she pooped out a LOT of them might have been the whole thing. I've seen nothing since and I must look like some kinda fool getting down in the grass each time she poops to take a look.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I'd be this same fool snooping through the dog's poo in the grass looking for hard evidence i recall that our vet gave all of my cats one pill each (i brought the rescue in and stupid me didn't think of her infecting my other cats) and it was just one time. If I recall correctly that pill was supposed to kill everything including flea eggs. Your little puppy is so precious I hope this has been the last problem you've had with her. From now on: notjing but enjoyment of years of pure love and cuteness

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Different wormers must be used for different worms. There is not a one-drug-kills-them-all solution. This is why your vet should insist on fecal exams before any treatment is offered. Yes, they can come up negative, but you still need to check first.

Talk to your vet about preventative worming. My vet had us do three rounds of Panacur.

I agree that what you saw was a tapeworm segment.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The test was negative and I saw the worm or segment days after that test and went back. She was given the pill solely on the vet tech looking at the worm/segment that I carried in inside of a glass bottle that I had removed from her droppings.
I am relieved that the consensus is a tapeworm. That was the diagnosis and what the pill was given to treat.

Thanks for the replies. I've never had a dog that had such issues.
Tortoises, yes.............

Pearly

5 Year Member
The test was negative and I saw the worm or segment days after that test and went back. She was given the pill solely on the vet tech looking at the worm/segment that I carried in inside of a glass bottle that I had removed from her droppings.
I am relieved that the consensus is a tapeworm. That was the diagnosis and what the pill was given to treat.

Thanks for the replies. I've never had a dog that had such issues.
Tortoises, yes.............
Your vet didn't react in any stronger way because they see tapeworm in dogs ALL THE TIME and know exactly how to get rid of it. Suki will be fine. She is so precious!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your vet didn't react in any stronger way because they see tapeworm in dogs ALL THE TIME and know exactly how to get rid of it. Suki will be fine. She is so precious!
Thanks. She seems so helpless, you know.
the tortoises are like little indestructable tanks by comparison.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Omg! If she isn't the CUTEST pup ever!!!!! Watch out, my Mom lives close to you (Lighthouse Point) and she'd commit crime for a pup like Suki:)