Help with a name?

DebbiLynn

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, Texas
Well, I had decided long ago that when I could finally have a tortoise, I wanted it to be a boy and name him Shelldon... (hopefully a he)
He's here now, he hatched 4/25/20, and not only does he not look like a Shelldon to me, I had no idea how common that name is for a turtle and tortoise.... (I love the name, but don't want to be a copy-cat)
So... Sorry to be a bother with this, but I need a little help deciding. I've narrowed it down to a few favorites.; here's my fave's and why:
Pluto, because I love astronomy and astrology, and Pluto was in retrograde on 4/25; plus I think it's a fun name.
Sherman, because he moves along like a little tank.
Spencer, because one of the few tv series I can watch reruns over and over is Criminal Minds and of course Spencer is my favorite.
Avery, after the famous explorer Tom Avery, who traveled from north to south pole mostly on foot. (that's allot of steps)
Alex, just in case he turns out to be a she, it'll still work.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It not a copy cat name anymore than as a newborn your parents named you Debbie copying someone else. Maybe you were named for someone else, and aunt etc?
That's a good name, not worries on it being a name others have used. It's easy for Sheldon to become Shelly if it's a she. :)

Well, I had decided long ago that when I could finally have a tortoise, I wanted it to be a boy and name him Shelldon... (hopefully a he)
He's here now, he hatched 4/25/20, and not only does he not look like a Shelldon to me, I had no idea how common that name is for a turtle and tortoise.... (I love the name, but don't want to be a copy-cat)
So... Sorry to be a bother with this, but I need a little help deciding. I've narrowed it down to a few favorites.; here's my fave's and why:
Pluto, because I love astronomy and astrology, and Pluto was in retrograde on 4/25; plus I think it's a fun name.
Sherman, because he moves along like a little tank.
Spencer, because one of the few tv series I can watch reruns over and over is Criminal Minds and of course Spencer is my favorite.
Avery, after the famous explorer Tom Avery, who traveled from north to south pole mostly on foot. (that's allot of steps)
Alex, just in case he turns out to be a she, it'll still work.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
My girl dog is named Alyx. That is how I spell it. So I love that name.

DebbiLynn

Austin, Texas
It not a copy cat name anymore than as a newborn your parents named you Debbie copying someone else. Maybe you were named for someone else, and aunt etc?
That's a good name, not worries on it being a name others have used. It's easy for Sheldon to become Shelly if it's a she. :)
You do have a point. Thanks.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't usually care for very common names either. So Sherman, for me, is out.

Alex just doesn't seem to go with a tortoise.

Spencer, although also my fav on Criminal Minds, well...the show does have a lot of evil in it, and I wouldn't want to speak that on to my pet.

Pluto, on the other hand, is great! Unisex, short and easy, and since losing its "planet" designation, needs all the help it can get! LOL!

DebbiLynn

Austin, Texas
I don't usually care for very common names either. So Sherman, for me, is out.

Alex just doesn't seem to go with a tortoise.

Spencer, although also my fav on Criminal Minds, well...the show does have a lot of evil in it, and I wouldn't want to speak that on to my pet.

Pluto, on the other hand, is great! Unisex, short and easy, and since losing its "planet" designation, needs all the help it can get! LOL!
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think about all the darkness that goes along with Criminal Minds..
I'm leaning toward Pluto or staying with Shelldon. However, I had someone tell me that Sheldon was a very hateful turtle on a tv series called Family Guy (news to me; never watched it)?
Oh well... Thanks again.

Wolfmama

Georgia
I like Spencer, not for the show criminal minds although I do like that show. I like it because of the show Psych. Just finished watching all 8 seasons on a major binge lol and it's the first thing I thought of when I read the name ?