HELP!! WITH 3 TOED BOX TURTLE HABITAT

captjack74

Location (City and/or State)
Lynbrook, New York
I have just been told that what we thought was something else is a 3 toed box turtle. We have had this turtle for a year and he has been in a 20 gallon tank with 7 inches of filtered water layered in rock with all dry docking areas. He swims lays on rocks but also stays underwater and then sticks head out. There is a water heater with water temperature at about 78-80 degrees. He has a heat lamp and UV lamp.
Now that we know he is a 3 toed box turtle I am seeing that he should not be in full water and should have substrate to burrow in.
Very confused on how to switch him over without shocking his whole routine AND unsure what to use exactly. Everyone seems to be using different things

IMG_2628.JPG IMG_2639.JPG

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ok, definitely NOT a “water” turtle. Yes, they like water, like to swim, hang out in marshy swampy areas, but NOT all water like a “real” turtle.

There are many care sheets for Boxies here on the Forum. Take a look at - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/. For some guidance.

Welcome n good luck

captjack74

Lynbrook, New York
Ok thank you still trying to find the correct links will keep looking there was some good stuff there but then other threads became confusing
Will keep searching

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
They need water, but they don't need to soak in it constantly. They are still turtles, not torts, so they enjoy the option to soak.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome I tried to forward you a link but couldn't.
On this site go to tortoise species in the drop down box turtles are almost at the bottom. There are threads on caring for box turtles. Good luck

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
I have just been told that what we thought was something else is a 3 toed box turtle. We have had this turtle for a year and he has been in a 20 gallon tank with 7 inches of filtered water layered in rock with all dry docking areas. He swims lays on rocks but also stays underwater and then sticks head out. There is a water heater with water temperature at about 78-80 degrees. He has a heat lamp and UV lamp.
Now that we know he is a 3 toed box turtle I am seeing that he should not be in full water and should have substrate to burrow in.
Very confused on how to switch him over without shocking his whole routine AND unsure what to use exactly. Everyone seems to be using different things

View attachment 278172 View attachment 278173

He got to be Aquaman for a year.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
What a little cutey. I find box turtles to be very easy to care for. Are you able to make an outdoor enclosure for it, which is best, or are you planning to keep it inside?

captjack74

Lynbrook, New York
Welcome I tried to forward you a link but couldn't.
On this site go to tortoise species in the drop down box turtles are almost at the bottom. There are threads on caring for box turtles. Good luck
What a little cutey. I find box turtles to be very easy to care for. Are you able to make an outdoor enclosure for it, which is best, or are you planning to keep it inside?

captjack74

Lynbrook, New York
He is inside we did think he was a full aquatic turtle but now know that he is not he has a pool now and substrate and we have changed everything up and having a little difficulty he loved water now wont go in the pool. He sits in the substrate which is moist and cool so I am not sure if his body temperature is what it should be
The enclosure is at 80 degrees the humidity keeps dropping though so I keep spraying it
Not sure how moist and/or dry the substrate should be? and why he wont come off of it to eat or go in pool?

Terri123

edmonton
Hi, I have a box turtle, Toby, ,for about 8 years now. So, Toby has a big terrarium, he has "warm" light and "light" lights ((others can give you the technical specs, I'm just giving you a super quick run-down), he has a big pool (shallow, because he can't swim) for accessible, clean water at all times, and substrate that he can burrow ir (because he loves to burrow), check appropriate substrates, but each turtle, I think, has their preference, ie. Toby does not like soil, (yes Iknow this is strange, but he is a very unusual turtle) and he doesn't like any sharp sticks, etc., so he has a terrarium carpet on the bottom and lots and lots of moss to burrow in (which keeps humidity in). Super important: water, humidity, and warm areas to relax, "sunlight"/UVB etc., and burrowing space. I hope that is helpful :)

Lemonade

5 Year Member
It may take him a while to adjust to the new habitat. If you drop some live crickets, pillbugs, meal or other kinds of worms, you might see him go into action.

He should be able to adjust well to variations in temperature. They don't need to be kept too warm. The substrate should be a kind that he can dig into, like the texture of peat moss, and it should be deep enough for him to bury himself if he wants. It should be moist, but if he gets too dry, he can get in the pool. Don't worry about the pool being too deep because, as you experienced they can swim, and they like the water being deep enough to cover their shell.