Help: why has my tortoise slowed down

Geng

5 Year Member
Like 1,5 month ago my russian tortoise used to be extremely active. She would roam around before her lamps were on. And when I came home from work she made a total mess of her enclosure: food all over the place, moved her hides and digging holes here and there. Even my parents in the other room could her my tortoise "playing".

For the past 1-2 week she has slowed down alot. For 2-3 days she didn't even came out het hide to eat. She would eat a little if I take her out, soak her and place her in front of her food.

Few things did happen which may affected her behaviour:

- She got a new UVB lamp, still the same brand and watt.
- She got a new and bigger hide, which she mostly sleep in these days
- My mother / little brother took care of her last week when I was on vacation. She was soaked 1-2 days when I was gone, did eat but had days she didn't come out. When I came home I gave her a soak. She looked normal.
- Weather got a liiiitle bit cooler, but still sunny and 20C + everyday. I take her outside on weekends when the weather is good.

Info:

- Russian, female, almost 3 years (?)
- Open table enclosure, coco coir substrate, 3 hides, UVB lamp 80W + heat bulb 50W, slate under the heat bulb to warm her up
- Temps: basking 100F, warm 80 - 90F, cool 70F+
- Soak days on Friday, saturday and sunday. Sometimes wednesday if I can make it to work on time.
- Food is mostly from supermarket, like kale, spring mix and endive. She also get her favorite dandelions and sow thistles 2x a week.
- Had 2 vet visit since I have her (2-3 years). First visit for her runny nose, and second for her hibernation behaviour. Did get some panacur because she had some worms.

Help guys.

Maitaimommy

Location (City and/or State)
Hello,

So you suspect she is three years old? Most likely she's older if you were able to confirm her gender (shell should be 5" before you know for sure as all young russian torts look female)
Also, soaking her for three days straight is too much. I soak my young russian every other day or every two days for 10 mins. depending on outside temperature and other factors.
How did she get on wirh you Mom and brother? Sometimes russians can be resistent to change.

I hope this helps:)

Can you please post a couple of pics of her?