Help what is under my tortoise chin.

Rex_994

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi there my boy Rex just woke up from hibernating his been roaming out in the yard and right when I was about to give him a neck rub I noticed a little hole on his neck and on the other side a yellowish substance coming out ”thick” . Can they be zits ? I find it odd for him to have two on the both sides ...

E1C73164-11AE-46DF-99D4-7056C31CF280.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Interesting & Welcome to the Forum. I can clearly see the two separate “abscesses” and the little hole smack in the center of each one. Almost like some insect bored a hole laid eggs....and left. I’m not at all sure what these could be, but I’m sure someone like @Yvonne G or @Tom can have a look & provide some advice.

Welcome!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Interesting & Welcome to the Forum. I can clearly see the two separate “abscesses” and the little hole smack in the center of each one. Almost like some insect bored a hole laid eggs....and left. I’m not at all sure what these could be, but I’m sure someone like @Yvonne G or @Tom can have a look & provide some advice.

Welcome!
Yvonne beat me to the answer. I can't think of an exception, so I think its safe to say that only Gopherus species have these well developed scent glands.