Help!!! What is it and how do I care for it?

Subdk

I was given this from a coworker, he said that his daughter was scared of it. He said it came with all it needed, and gave us the run down. When trying to learn more about it, especially what it was, we have had a lot of difficulty. It has been in a 32 gal tank with sawdust substrate for the last 2 years. They were heavy smokers, so much so the turtle's shell was effected. His color has20170315_103705-1.jpeg been coming out and we are starting to worry it is a res. I can't imagine it would have lived this long without more than a water dish if it was though. Any help? What is she?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a turtle and needs to be in a large pond or very large aquarium. It will also need to be able to have a basking spot that he can get out of the water and bask under a heat light and warm up to 95-100. I don't think it's a RES though. I can't believe with the internet your co-worker could be so lazy as to not search for proper care.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Where are you and where is this turtle from? It is a bit deformed from poor care but looks like a Rhinoclemmys. A painted wood turtle. Semi aquatic turtle that could "survive" without water but not best for it. It beak is terribly overgrown which I've never seen in a rhinoclemmys before! More pictures of top and bottom will help but for now look up care for rhinoclemmys and you'll have a good start

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You came to the right place for help! All the best with your efforts.