Help!! (Wants out of his cage)

queen koopa

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
I am curious as to why you can not allow your tort to walk around in your kitchen if you are right there supervising. I am sure many on this forum do not agree with it, but there are many people that allow their torts to have free roam of their home once they are bigger and live inside the homes.. Your species does not get that big, and actually to be honest, there is a lady on a facebook group that has this species, and I am not joking at all when i say she sleeps with her tort.. Literally her tort has it's own blankie, sleeps right next to her and she said if her tort has an accident it nudges her, she gets up, gets another blankie, cleans up her tort and back to bed they go... Anyway, I am just wondering if it is cold outside where you live, and to give your tort more exercise why not allow your tort out daily to walk in your kitchen.. As long as you are right there to make sure it does not get into danger, I don't understand why not!
The OP was trying to give her healthy tort more exercise. She is smart, researched it, and asked questions. Most owners who let their tortoise roam freely think its cute and astonishing. This is not always true, but many owners who allow tortoise to roam the house often say their tortoise is spoiled beyond belief and gets to roam the house all day! But all the sudden the tortoise is having problems. Then they post a pic of the “cage” they keep them in and its a 20-30 gallon terrarium for an adult tortoise. House roaming & poor husbandry = illness. Also when its cold outside the floor of a human dwelling is cold. Small mammals are better suited to be roaming and living aside a human.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I don't see how you can help that, as most torts are eventually going to get time in an outdoor enclosure. I find that every fall, Beasley takes a month or so to stop asking me to take her outside, as I do every AM from late April through early Oct. Whenever she sees me, she rushes over and tries to climb up to me. She won't eat at all if I'm there because all she wants is to go OUT! I drop her food and run LOL.

I suspect that it the poster just holds out, the tort will eventually give up. Beasley does.
Hahah exactly. With my RES, I had to drop the food and disappear!

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
The OP was trying to give her healthy tort more exercise. She is smart, researched it, and asked questions. Most owners who let their tortoise roam freely think its cute and astonishing. This is not always true, but many owners who allow tortoise to roam the house often say their tortoise is spoiled beyond belief and gets to roam the house all day! But all the sudden the tortoise is having problems. Then they post a pic of the “cage” they keep them in and its a 20-30 gallon terrarium for an adult tortoise. House roaming & poor husbandry = illness. Also when its cold outside the floor of a human dwelling is cold. Small mammals are better suited to be roaming and living aside a human.
Thank you for your response and explaining.. I appreciate it.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
From looking at the photo you posted, I think it would be a good idea to add more plants- even fake ones. I have a Hermann's tortoise, and she always digs herself into a spot under a plant. Your tortoise might feel exposed and vulnerable without more cover.