Help Wanted (setting up a baby sulcata)

Ljpballer

Location (City and/or State)
West India
I just bought a baby Sulcata right now it is in a 18 gallon tub outside with a 13 watt UV bulb during the day and a heat/basking light at night...I live in West Virginia and the highs are 90s and the lows are 60s at night but I’m struggling keeping humidity in the tank and the substate is a soil mulch mix.Also I leave the tortoise out to roam around in the hot part of the day but I got him yesterday and I haven’t seen him eat?Is that just because he’s still startled or?

Ljpballer

West India
I just bought a baby Sulcata right now it is in a 18 gallon tub outside with a 13 watt UV bulb during the day and a heat/basking light at night...I live in West Virginia and the highs are 90s and the lows are 60s at night but I’m struggling keeping humidity in the tank and the substate is a soil mulch mix.Also I leave the tortoise out to roam around in the hot part of the day but I got him yesterday and I haven’t seen him eat?Is that just because he’s still startled or?
also the tortoise isn’t very active unless outside of cage he usually hides under plastic tub with carpet runner in the front

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings to the Forum and congrats on your Sully

Just wanted to make sure you navigate to the TORTOISE SPECIES section and then check out all of the info on Sulcatas,
Including this great thread - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
And this - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/

There are lots of things to get correct right from the very start.
  • Soaking, housing, humidity levels, food, indoor vs outdoor time for hatchlings, substrate, lighting, basking temps, overall temps, etc.
You might want to upload some pix of your new Sully and the current set up. Lots of people get really bad information from pet shops or sellers just wanting to off load a tortoise..

Best of luck, happy torting.

Ljpballer

West India
Greetings to the Forum and congrats on your Sully

Just wanted to make sure you navigate to the TORTOISE SPECIES section and then check out all of the info on Sulcatas,
Including this great thread - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
And this - https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/

There are lots of things to get correct right from the very start.
  • Soaking, housing, humidity levels, food, indoor vs outdoor time for hatchlings, substrate, lighting, basking temps, overall temps, etc.
You might want to upload some pix of your new Sully and the current set up. Lots of people get really bad information from pet shops or sellers just wanting to off load a tortoise..

Best of luck, happy torting.
I soaked him in warm water 15 minutes yesterday and today and I’ve been feeding him dark lettuce or dandelions or I can feed him hay from a field nearby and I don’t have a thermometer yet for the temps I’m getting one today

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The reason he's so active outside the cage is because he's afraid. He's running around trying to find a safe hiding place. Babies are prey and like to stay in close quarters - well planted areas with lots of hiding spots.

Be sure to read all the important threads pinned at the top of our Sulcata section. You'll find lots of help in raising a healthy baby there.

(Babies don't usually eat hay. They arent' interested in hay until they get a bit bigger)

Ljpballer

West India
The reason he's so active outside the cage is because he's afraid. He's running around trying to find a safe hiding place. Babies are prey and like to stay in close quarters - well planted areas with lots of hiding spots.

Be sure to read all the important threads pinned at the top of our Sulcata section. You'll find lots of help in raising a healthy baby there.

(Babies don't usually eat hay. They arent' interested in hay until they get a bit bigger)
I read the Sulcata section but what is the best food to be feeding the babies because right now he doesn’t seem interested in anything

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort should be eating a variety of weedy and leafy greens. There's a list in this thread

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Your baby will not eat if the temperatures are wrong in the enclosure or if it is stressed.

Stress is common when a tort is a new. Everything, including you, is big an scary.

Get the enclosure temperatures sorted out, make sure the humidity is high enough and establish a routine so your tort learns what to expect and when. I always suggest:

1. Have the lights on a timer so they come on and go off at the same time of day every day.

2. Just after the lights come on, soak your tort for at least 20 minutes in a flat bottomed bowl that your tort cannot see through or over. This gets your tort used to handling and ensures it stays hydrated.

3. While your tort soaks, tidy the enclosure and place food.

4. Replace your tort and walk away. Don't be tempted to stand and watch as you are scary right now.

Gradually your tort will be brave and learn to trust the enclosure and eventually you. Some torts are much slower on the uptake than others.

Don't let your tort out of its enclosure to wander round; it's just something else to be scared of right now. And in any case, while it is away from its enclosure it is away from the heat, UVB and humidity that it needs to be heatlhy. They're not cuddly or social creatures and really don't want much handling either.

Get the environment right and your tort will start eating

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
This is a favorite and you can feed one nugget per meal or every other day always mixed with Greens... Dandy-lion is a favorite. Cactus pads also.
Also you need to find a way of guaranteeing that the tortoise will never be below 80° in any part of his enclosure. Babies are fragile.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-23-23-43-41.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-23-23-43-41.png
    350.3 KB · Views: 22

Ljpballer

West India
Your tort should be eating a variety of weedy and leafy greens. There's a list in this thread

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Your baby will not eat if the temperatures are wrong in the enclosure or if it is stressed.

Stress is common when a tort is a new. Everything, including you, is big an scary.

Get the enclosure temperatures sorted out, make sure the humidity is high enough and establish a routine so your tort learns what to expect and when. I always suggest:

1. Have the lights on a timer so they come on and go off at the same time of day every day.

2. Just after the lights come on, soak your tort for at least 20 minutes in a flat bottomed bowl that your tort cannot see through or over. This gets your tort used to handling and ensures it stays hydrated.

3. While your tort soaks, tidy the enclosure and place food.

4. Replace your tort and walk away. Don't be tempted to stand and watch as you are scary right now.

Gradually your tort will be brave and learn to trust the enclosure and eventually you. Some torts are much slower on the uptake than others.

Don't let your tort out of its enclosure to wander round; it's just something else to be scared of right now. And in any case, while it is away from its enclosure it is away from the heat, UVB and humidity that it needs to be heatlhy. They're not cuddly or social creatures and really don't want much handling either.

Get the environment right and your tort will start eating
Is the bulb I have okay or should I get a bigger one and also should I leave the heat light on all the time?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Is the bulb I have okay or should I get a bigger one and also should I leave the heat light on all the time?

You need an accurate digital thermometer to measure temperatures

A temperature gun like this is best and costs around US$10-15
D502BB2C-3DDC-4A46-805D-2AAD8854D9CE-6312-000005BCA8429E5E_tmp.jpg

It must be 95-100F (35-37C) directly under the basking lamp. Adjust the temperature under this lamp by raising or lowering it. You shouldn’t need a bigger bulb. The lamp should be on for 12 hours a day. Your tort needs total darkness at night b

The ambient temperature in the rest of the enclosure shouldn’t drop below 80F day or night for a baby. Use a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) with a thermostat 24/7 to control that.

None of this will work if the enclosure doesn’t have a roof. You cannot maintain healthy heat and humidity without one.

This thread is about Russians but shows a good baby setup.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

What do you have for UVB?

Ljpballer

West India
You need an accurate digital thermometer to measure temperatures

A temperature gun like this is best and costs around US$10-15
View attachment 244553

It must be 95-100F (35-37C) directly under the basking lamp. Adjust the temperature under this lamp by raising or lowering it. You shouldn’t need a bigger bulb. The lamp should be on for 12 hours a day. Your tort needs total darkness at night b

The ambient temperature in the rest of the enclosure shouldn’t drop below 80F day or night for a baby. Use a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) with a thermostat 24/7 to control that.

None of this will work if the enclosure doesn’t have a roof. You cannot maintain healthy heat and humidity without one.

This thread is about Russians but shows a good baby setup.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

What do you have for UVB?
A 13 watt uvb and what should I use for a lid and should I cover the whole enclosure?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A 13 watt uvb and what should I use for a lid and should I cover the whole enclosure?

Is it a compact one like these?
FEBEF134-BBA6-47F6-9A74-A7D4B30A496E-4268-0000039EBA8FA138_tmp.jpg
F38DEBC7-45BB-4109-AF03-E455424F7C5E-4268-0000039EC1CBD753_tmp.jpg

These can hurt tort eyes and can make them hide away. The long tube UVBs are fine.

The cover needs to cover as much as possible with gaps around lights if necessary so you don’t start a fire. Perspex (plexiglass), hardboard, or even tinfoil will do the job.

Ljpballer

West India
Is it a compact one like these?
View attachment 244554
View attachment 244555

These can hurt tort eyes and can make them hide away. The long tube UVBs are fine.

The cover needs to cover as much as possible with gaps around lights if necessary so you don’t start a fire. Perspex (plexiglass), hardboard, or even tinfoil will do the job.
the light is like that but instead more of a coil but thanks for all the help as soon as I get off work I will be fixing his setup

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
the light is like that but instead more of a coil but thanks for all the help as soon as I get off work I will be fixing his setup
It's the compact bulbs that cause the problems. They're just examples. There is variation between brands in how they look, but they all cause problems. You should lookat replacing yours

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome! I noticed you said you take him outside during the hot part of the day. Be careful with that so your little tort doesn't overheat and get dehydrated. When he is ready for outdoors I always soak mine right after

Ljpballer

West India
Welcome! I noticed you said you take him outside during the hot part of the day. Be careful with that so your little tort doesn't overheat and get dehydrated. When he is ready for outdoors I always soak mine right after
Would a 40 watt work for the ceramic heater....I’m at the pet store right now

Ljpballer

West India
This is the setup I have right now is a 18 gallon tub with mulch/soil substrate, and a good fish and soaking dish with moss in it for him and I have a 40 watt ceramic heater and a 100 watt basking light I also have a 13 watt uvb light....The temperature is a little over 80 and under the light it’s warmer.Also the humidity is only 55% I just covered the top of the container so I think it should go up.... anything else that will help? I bought this baby Sulcata yesterday and it hasn’t eaten yet but I dark veggies with calcium c I’m gonna offer tomorrow??

Ljpballer

West India
This is the setup I have right now is a 18 gallon tub with mulch/soil substrate, and a good fish and soaking dish with moss in it for him and I have a 40 watt ceramic heater and a 100 watt basking light I also have a 13 watt uvb light....The temperature is a little over 80 and under the light it’s warmer.Also the humidity is only 55% I just covered the top of the container so I think it should go up.... anything else that will help? I bought this baby Sulcata yesterday and it hasn’t eaten yet but I dark veggies with calcium c I’m gonna offer tomorrow??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22