HELP walking really funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniiie321

5 Year Member
Hello,

I have a redfoot tortoise about 4 years old. I took her out after work today and she is walking really weird. she is very close to the ground, almost crawling, taking tiny steps with all her feet. When i pick her up and move her she just drops right to the ground instead of standing up on her feet like she usually does. It seems to be her back feet having the most trouble but her fronts seem weak too. Her temps have been 70% humidity and stay around 85 degrees all day with a heat pad at night, thats what it has been since ive had her. In the previous week i have noticed she has not been overly interested in food either.... she eats but not nearly as much as she used to, i was concerned before and was looking into bringing her to a vet but not i am very very concerned. does anyone know what this might be? i am going to take a video if that will help.. what do i do!!??

ps. she has been getting out of her cage everyday for close to 4 hours to roam the deck in the sun, she has a hide as well out there. She was stuck in her tank the last 3 days though because we had heavy rain, but i dont think that should cause this. Her tank is 3 feet by 5 and a half.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I think there are a few things that can cause weakness in a torts legs. She could be egg bound, maybe a bladder stone, mbd? I would suggest a vet visit. In the meantime, keep her warm and maybe do a warm soak. A warm soak will help if she is constipated.

You need to also read a care sheet for your type of tortoise. I am not familiar with red foots, but I'm pretty sure your temperature is not right. Tortoises need a temperature gradient (warm one side, cooler the other) to regulate their temperature , aid in digestion and immunity.

Y

Status
Not open for further replies.