Help urgent. Is my Tortoise brumating or sleeping late?

Rocky219

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I just thought that my Tortoise was sleeping so I woke him up to give him a bath and he urinated. I read that they can't do that then go back to brumating. Now I am torn between if I did do that do I wake him up to rehydrate him? Or is it more risky because he could be brumating?

• Sleeps until about 12 some days
  • Is less active and basks more
  • Go's to bed at about 4 or 5 most days

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I guess one question would be - do you want him to brumate & you set him up properly to do so.... OR do you want him to stay up & active all Winter? Are your temps & lighting all set for brumation or not?

Rocky219

Massachusetts
I guess one question would be - do you want him to brumate & you set him up properly to do so.... OR do you want him to stay up & active all Winter? Are your temps & lighting all set for brumation or not?
I do not think that I will put him in a fridge. My basking spot is usually 90-95 and my humidity is usually 40-60% I want him to sleep and brumate.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Hey @Rocky219 , I think I replied to you on reddit. Brumation is not the same as sleeping late and going to bed early. That can be a sign that your Tort is starting to slow down and maybe beginning the brumation process. However before a Tort brumates properly they will stop eating for a couple weeks and then you won’t see them awake at all during the day.

Rocky219

Massachusetts
Hey @Rocky219 , I think I replied to you on reddit. Brumation is not the same as sleeping late and going to bed early. That can be a sign that your Tort is starting to slow down and maybe beginning the brumation process. However before a Tort brumates properly they will stop eating for a couple weeks and then you won’t see them awake at all during the day.
Oh ok thank you. Yes I did see you on reddit haha

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
What type of tortoise? How old? do you have pictures of him and his setup? we can point you in the right direction with more details.

Rocky219

Massachusetts
What type of tortoise? How old? do you have pictures of him and his setup? we can point you in the right direction with more details.
He is 3-4. Hermann Tortoise. Humidity 40-60%. Basking spot 90-95 usually.

Attachments

• E.jpg
    E.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 33

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Whats the temp on the cool side? You should try to seal of the top to get it more humid in there.