HELP! Unexpected tortoises and need a crash course

bluesky89

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hi everyone. This is my first time on this forum, as I just became an unexpected tortoise owner today. I am in San Diego county.

I purchased a home "as is," which apparently meant that two tortoises would be left in a bedroom! They are Hermann tortoises and about 2 years old (thanks to the owner who left a note with this information - ha!).

I have done some basic research, but I don't have the time to do in-depth research on them right now (we need to go full force into a remodel). I wasn't planning on having tortoises in my life, but I definitely don't mind caring for them. They are currently inside in a glass aquarium container. I would say its about 4 ft by 2 ft. It has maybe 2 inches of wood chip-like material at the bottom of the aquarium, and that is it. It looks pretty gross like it hasn't been changed or cleaned in quite some time.

With that in mind, I want to clean it out and put new stuff in there. Should I stick with that wood-chip stuff, or is there something better? The more specific, the better because I will head straight to the pet store to get the supplies. (By the way, is this something I can get at Petco, or should I find some type of reptile store?)

For the time being, the tortoises need to stay in the indoor aquarium. Once our home remodel is done, we can build something outside.

Also, the tortoises don't seem to be getting along. One of them keeps trying to climb on the other one from behind. He/she also keeps trying to bite the poor guy that he keeps climbing on. Is this some type of mating thing? Should I separate? I can go to the store and get another aquarium for the time being if that is suggested.

I am desperate for ideas and advice! Thank you in advance.

lilly_sand99

Marshalltown IA
Lol well welcome! You NEED to separate the 2 torts. They both need bigger spaces. Lol it sounds like you been set up. Torts are a lot of fun and easy once you get them properly established, so stick with everyone's advice!

bluesky89

San Diego, CA
Lol well welcome! You NEED to separate the 2 torts. They both need bigger spaces. Lol it sounds like you been set up. Torts are a lot of fun and easy once you get them properly established, so stick with everyone's advice!
Thank you for getting back to me. This was definitely a surprise...we got the keys to our new home, walked around, and noticed an aquarium with these tortoises in a bedroom. Oh well, I am happy to care for them!

Do you think that the wood chips are okay? Do they also need some kind of sand in there? They are going to need to stay in glass aquariums until we remodel the house. We will be completely ripping up the yard, so we can't build them an outdoor enclosure quite yet. Since you said they need to be separated, I will run out an get another aquarium in the mean time.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I can't imagine who would do such a thing...

• The first order of business is to get them separated. Like right now. You can get a large plastic tub from Walmart or a hardware store, or a horse trough from a feed store for this. What size are they? Age doesn't tell us much. With bad care they might still be one inch long at two years old. With high protein foods, they might be 5-6 inches at two years old.
  • STAY AWAY FROM PET SHOPS!!! You will get bad advice and the wrong products. Most of what you need will be found at the hardware store or Walmart.
  • No sand. None. Its a terrible impaction risk and potential skin and eye irritant. Don't use it even though many care sheets still recommend it. I work with many reptile vets and they all see terrible cases of sand impaction regularly because of this bad advice.
  • Whether or not your "wood chips" are fine depends on what they are. Some are perfect and others are not so good. Can you post a pic?
Care for hermanni is similar to Russian care. Read these for set up, housing, heating, lighting and feeding instructions. And stay out of the pet shop!
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Definitely separate them ASAP. That space is way too small for one tort, let alone two. Id give each of them a nice long soak in warm water, just an inch or two. I’m sure they will appreciate the water.

@EllieMay and @Tom provided good links for care.

Good luck.