HELP. (Turtle having trouble with eggs)

Samtastico

Location (City and/or State)
Dundee uk
Hi there looking for some urgent help with my pet turtle Touché.

she is approx 10/12 years old (my partner rescued her and we moved in together 5years ago) is about 10inches long and has laid eggs quite regularly before. Usually she goes off her food for couple weeks and goes crazy in her tank when she is due to lay eggs. Swimming about like mad, trying to escape and splashing around. We have tried various nesting spots before and although she digs in them she has always laid her eggs in the tank (Not on the basking dock in the water) but seemed to help her stay calm getting to roam about in the nesting box. She would then go back into the tank and once she had laid a few eggs she would return to her normal self.

this year however things are different. She started the same behaviour going crazy in her tank and off her food but then after 2/3 wks of what we did in prev years no eggs came, we thought it was maybe taking a bit longer than normal but she then started to get lethargic and just bask all day ☹ There were no other symptoms at this point so I started to think was maybe dystonic eggs and she was having trouble passing them. As we live in uk where these are not allowed there is no vet in my area who can help ( I have called what feels like hundreds and even tried the local reptile and fish shops for help, a lot of who where quite helpful and also confirmed wouldnt get vet that would see her so now considering calling the national zoos!) so I persevered and then last week noticed her left eye had swollen and she was blowing lots of bubbles underwater ( she does this sometimes but not back to back like she was doing that day) . When checked online this pointed to RI along with lethargy and no appetite but no mucus or wheezing. I tried more research turned temp in her tank from 24 degrees Celsius to 26, she started to move about more and had few bites to eat then few days ago there was what I can only describe as a jelly ball in her tank it wasn’t clear but almost. I thot this was maybe to do with eggs again and this morning there was a perfectly formed egg in her tank,

I was a pleased and thought maybe once passed more will be ok but tonight she is back and forward from her dock, her tail is swollen and I’m positive I saw diluted blood. I’m now scared an egg has broken inside and she can’t pass it.

to top my worry off she has now just been wheezing while resting on her dock ? il so worried and out of ideas on what to do and at loss as to any place I can take her for medical help. If I could I would have her at emergency out of hours right now but haven’t had any luck with any of the vets in my local or up to 200miles within my area.

she has 100 gallon tank, massive filter (partner knows this size but it’s twice as big as should be for tank) has a 150w light with uv and ub, gets pellets romaine lettuce and carrots as treat and like little bit of cuttlebone so I think I have her set up right ( she has been fine for years and never had problems with eggs or eyes etc before)

am really worried about her and know there is bound to be something else I can do to help her I just don’t know what it’s so hard to know if issues because of eggs, RI or as I suspect both ?

amy help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

I have tried to give as much info about her as poss but if I’ve missed anything out please ask really want to help this lovely girl

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When my pet birds had trouble laying eggs I would cover the cage on three sides and put a light (heat) on them. I think that would also help your turtle - a spot with a light shining on it so she can raise her body temperature. Putting her out in the dirt didn't help?

Samtastico

Dundee uk
It didn’t help this time she didn’t even move when she was out today she just sat in the corner, she has a light and has been under it a lot I also put the temp in her tank up slightly and she perked up a little and passed an egg today so hopefully she perks up a bit more but I will try covering the side of her tank and she does like privacy when she’s laying but we generally have a quiet house she’s in the dining room and have been keeping the light off in there and to minimal in kitchen, just in and out quickly but maybe covering the tank will help thank you so much for replying it’s much appreciated

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
myself i'd get some antibiotics in her , somehow , someway ....... not having access to a vet makes that hard to do effectively ....... you could try fish antibiotics in her water , dosing that would be blind luck ....... you can get some decent antibiotics meant for fish , cephalexin , ciprofloxacin , tetracycline , doxycycline , sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim ....i'd go with doxycycline , at least double the fish dose , that'd be just my guess ...... you can get oxytetracycline injectable without a script , it's a good antibiotic , it's an injection that's not without risk , it actually does cause what many folks claim baytril does at the injection site ...... vet would be best , if you could get one to give you some injectable baytril or fortaz .......

Samtastico

Dundee uk
Hi, thanks so much for replying. From what I’ve read I think she needs an antibiotic too. Id be scared I do something to her an injection if I don’t get someone to see her I’ll be at the fish shop getting some antibiotics tomorrow but I think I can get her seen tomorrow. I’ve finally got a hold someone who knows of a reptile vet that keeps turtles and am hoping I get a hold of that vet tomorrow as been told they will be happy to see her. Fingers crossed they can give her something to help in the meantime I have got temp in her tank up to 28 and have towels over the left hand side to try bring the humidity up a bit. Fingers xd get some antibiotics from vet tomorrow!! Thanks again for all your advice I wouldn’t have thought of fish antibiotics!

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
excellent you found a vet , absolutely best route ......

Samtastico

Dundee uk
Touché saw the vet today got an antibiotic injection and is getting an X-ray tomorrow to check how she is doing with her eggs.
Fingers crossed we can get her back to her normal self soon! Thanks for everyone’s help