Help! Turtle being tube fed but throwing up.

Sam101

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
So about 2 1/2 months ago, my yellow belly slider (female, 7yrs) stopped eating and I got really worried and eventually took her to the vet where she stayed for a while until they got to the bottom of what was wrong with her apparently she had a nasty fungus bacteria growing in her oesophagus area they gave me a bunch of antibiotics and stuff and inserted a feeding tube and was told to dry dock her, I have been doing that up until now but I found that what they where telling me to feed her was too much as she kept throwing up so I lowered her dose and she was fine, I went on holiday my sister and mother where looking after her when I can back her eyes weren’t opening they appeared very sunken and she looks extremely emaciated, I’m scared I’ve lowered her feeding too much or I’m not giving her enough water but when I up the dose she throws it up, she’s very lethargic too, I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong I actually don’t know much about yellow belly sliders I know the basics, I didn’t get her intentionally I saved her as she had been abandoned keeping in mind I live in Scotland so she would not make it out doors, I’ve tried to rehome her but I’ve had no luck as their deemed as an invasive species, I really want to get better at this but I want the vets to be the last option as the bill did come to around £600 and they wouldn’t let me take out a payment plan.
I’m really stuck for money and trying to absorb all this new information is really hard to take in, I need it to be simplified for me so I can understand better and know what equipment I can buy her etc when I am next paid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have to remember that turtles, being cold blooded, need external heat to move the food out of the stomach and into the digestive tract. You can't add more food until the food you put in last time has moved out. To keep things moving make sure the turtle can warm up his inner core to at least 80F degrees.

Sam101

Scotland
You have to remember that turtles, being cold blooded, need external heat to move the food out of the stomach and into the digestive tract. You can't add more food until the food you put in last time has moved out. To keep things moving make sure the turtle can warm up his inner core to at least 80F degrees.

Does this include water? I’ve been syringing water in to keep her fluid levels up and she’s still managed to bring that back up, also how can you tell she’s at the perfect temperature where I can feed her?

Sam101

Scotland

never mind she passed away this morning.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, that's so sad. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Sa Ga

MN
never mind she passed away this morning.
I'm so so so sorry. It sounds like she was severely dehydrated at that point and probably needed IV fluids. It's possible your sis/mom didn't feed her properly (tube feeding can be tricky) or that her infection was just too much.

Bless you for doing all you could (many ppl won't spend that kind of money for vet bills, esp for a turtle). There's a special place for you in heaven, and she'll be there waiting for you! ?

Last edited:

Sa Ga

MN
BTW...Anyone who says reptiles are easy is INSANE! I do not worry/toil/fuss for my pups the way I have to for Morla and Oadi!!!

Yet somehow, it is totally worth it!

Last edited:

Sam101

Scotland
I
I'm so so so sorry. It sounds like she was severely dehydrated at that point and probably needed IV fluids. It's possible your sis/mom didn't feed her properly (tube feeding can be tricky) or that her infection was just too much.

Bless you for doing all you could (many ppl won't spend that kind of money for vet bills, esp for a turtle. There's a special place for you in heaven, and shell be there waiting for you! ?

I’ve really been needing to hear that because I’ve been feeling so rotten, wish I hadn’t left her in the first place, I’m just glad I was there for when she was taking her last breaths :( so heartbroken.

Sa Ga

MN
I

I’ve really been needing to hear that because I’ve been feeling so rotten, wish I hadn’t left her in the first place, I’m just glad I was there for when she was taking her last breaths :( so heartbroken.

My heart sincerely aches for you. ?
I'm glad you were there to say goodbye. ❤