Help tortoise has white spots inflamed

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
The spots are some kind of infection...whether the skin infection came first them migrated to the sinuses/lungs, or vice-versa. Infection spreads rapidly in reptiles not yet reaching their summer time temps since the immune system cannot fully charge up.

The eyes might be a combination of run-away infection, generalized inflammation, and dehydration.
Thanks for that, it makes sense now.

Florida
Right I’m shocked as well I currently can’t do x rays as it is a bit hard around here now but we managed to find out she has a lack of vitamin a and very few red blood cells so she’s making us give her anti biotic shots which I think should be fine ? I’m not sure if I’m replying to the right person but I think I am

Florida
Basically the vet mentioned that she Has very few red blood cells and a possible fungal infection she also has pin worms but it shouldn’t be a huge worry is what she said . She also mentioned there’s a high chance she’ll die which wasn’t really very comforting but she gave me anti biotic shots to use on her so I’m hoping that will help as we can’t currently do x ray tests ..

Florida
Do you know any hacks to do if she won’t eat or drink ? I’m just very worried I tried feeding her eveything the vet reccomended and nothings working :/ please anyone get back to me if possible

Florida
My tortoise has recently been discovered to possible have Pneumonia and a fungal infection she is around 10 years old and has always been very healthy does anyone know what to do if she refuses to eat or drink ? I think I’ll have to bring her to the vet again but if anyone can please reccomend anything helps I just don’t want her to die

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My tortoise has recently been discovered to possible have Pneumonia and a fungal infection she is around 10 years old and has always been very healthy does anyone know what to do if she refuses to eat or drink ? I think I’ll have to bring her to the vet again but if anyone can please reccomend anything helps I just don’t want her to die
IF...she stops eating?

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
I read your other post about the white spots. Since she was eating before, she could just be pouting because of all of the changes to her daily life. Tortoises can safely go a really long time without eating, and red foots are known for pouting.

Were you given any medicine for an antifungal, or was the vet on board with using the foot cream? What other foods/medicine did they recommend?

Are you keeping her indoors and monitoring the temperature?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Whenever I have a tortoise that needs special attention I set it up in a smaller indoor enclosure where I can see it all the time and give it special attention. The smaller, indoor enclosure has a CHE over one end and a light over the other end. My regimen is to soak the animal in carrot babyfood water daily for about an hour:

This small indoor enclosure should be kept at 80-85F degrees day and night.

I also place enticing food in the enclosure. For this purpose, and because the tortoise isn't eating, I use foods that they like, but that aren't necessarily the best foods for them to eat: watermelon, iceburg lettuce, etc. The object is to get them to eat.

Florida
I read your other post about the white spots. Since she was eating before, she could just be pouting because of all of the changes to her daily life. Tortoises can safely go a really long time without eating, and red foots are known for pouting.

Were you given any medicine for an antifungal, or was the vet on board with using the foot cream? What other foods/medicine did they recommend?

Are you keeping her indoors and monitoring the temperature?
We’re keeping her indoors at night with a heat pad and leave her outside for a little bit to get air I don’t know . Do you know how many days they can go without eating ? The vet doesn’t even know what’s wrong with her I’m very worried

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Sorry to hear that. Spring is the most dangerous time for reptiles...the cool temps keep their immune system from charging up to full power. But all the infective microbes in the ground are perfectly able to attack.

She really needs an indoor habitat that is temperature controlled at 84*F 24-hours. An adult animal can last a while without food, but she has to take in hydration...soak her in warm water 4 times daily (about 20-30 minutes each time).

Her immune system, digestion, heart, kidneys, liver cannot work unless her temperature is for certain in the right range for her species. She will not eat, and whatever has infected her will continue to spread (inside and out).

If you need help setting her up in a "hospital" enclosure indoors, post some photos of the equipment you have on hand.

Florida
Sorry to hear that. Spring is the most dangerous time for reptiles...the cool temps keep their immune system from charging up to full power. But all the infective microbes in the ground are perfectly able to attack.

She really needs an indoor habitat that is temperature controlled at 84*F 24-hours. An adult animal can last a while without food, but she has to take in hydration...soak her in warm water 4 times daily (about 20-30 minutes each time).

Her immune system, digestion, heart, kidneys, liver cannot work unless her temperature is for certain in the right range for her species. She will not eat, and whatever has infected her will continue to spread (inside and out).

If you need help setting her up in a "hospital" enclosure indoors, post some photos of the equipment you have on hand.
I think we might end up using the vet hospital bht thank you if anything I’ll make sure to attach pictures we are also going to try the carrot soak a lot of people have recvomended that to me I just have to research more

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry she's still not well.
Does she have overhead heat as well as the heat pad?

Florida
Sorry she's still not well.
Does she have overhead heat as well as the heat pad?
What do you mean sorry ? I’m currently doing the bath do you know if she’s supposed to drink it or not sorry if I’m asking a lot of questions it’s just that she has never gotten sick like this before thank you for your time

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What do you mean sorry ? I’m currently doing the bath do you know if she’s supposed to drink it or not sorry if I’m asking a lot of questions it’s just that she has never gotten sick like this before thank you for your time
Just wondering if you are only using the heat mat and if so where you are using it, or do you have a heat source above her too?

She may drink the carrot water but will absorb some through her vent anyway.